To k24, or not to k24... ?

1_3LStarseo

Member +
Going all-in on new turbo setup. Been waiting for the ct9 to give up on me and it's going down hard. :shoot: :D

Wondering what your guys opinions are regarding the typical td04, 05, and 06 upgrades compared to a K24. I don't know much about the K24(or any of the aforementioned for that matter) except for that Honda guys use them on the K series motor and it seems to work well for their small displacements. I know a couple of you have used/are using them.

I was looking for graphs on it to convince my mechanic, but I came up with little more than hp figures from other tuners. Also videos of Civic hatches stomping Mustangs.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated as this is the turbo setup I'm going to base the build around.

Thanks

1_3LStarseo

Member +
Choices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-91-95-Toyota-Paseo-4EFE-5EFE-4E-5E-1-5-TURBO-KIT_W0QQitemZ350180518908QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item350180518908&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

Sure it's almost a grand less than the turbo/downpipe/mani/WG that I found, but I just don't know if I can trust the build quality... :(

I wouldn't use the BOV instead use my Blitz Supersound, but I think I'd rather have the knowledge of quality on a K24 kit(without the intercooler, piping, fuel and oil components) than pay for things I'll eventually replace for peace of mine.

Let me know what you think.

GTdan

In The Closet
you on a foged engine? what boost your prepared to run?
also do you want a car thats better on quarter mile - ie not hitting full boost till late in rpm, or something all round?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
All good turbo setups but all for different purposes and uses. What are you wanting the car for ... fast road, quarter mile, track?

Iain

FeNder

Member +
member damage on here was using his k24 ep82 to great success for both qtr miles and hill climb applications , i think running in the region of 240bph maybe , cool setup

1_3LStarseo

Member +
you on a foged engine? what boost your prepared to run?
also do you want a car thats better on quarter mile - ie not hitting full boost till late in rpm, or something all round?

Stock internals, hoped to have enough left over to go forged before the summer...

I'd imagine that I can only run a max of about 12psi safely then, right? I want times on a quarter mile later, but mostly I just want her to get up and go while I'm driving about.

The ct9 doesn't hit peak boost until something like 5,600 rpm I think on my last dyno(I'll get pics up later). I wanted something to spool and reach boost a little sooner than that, but to not fall off too fast since redline's 6800. :rolleyes:

1_3LStarseo

Member +
member damage on here was using his k24 ep82 to great success for both qtr miles and hill climb applications , i think running in the region of 240bph maybe , cool setup

I was going to get some info off of him, yeah. It wounded like a beast of a setup. I'd love a good hill climber.

Don't know how much work it was to get 240bhp though... it's taken me forever to get 115 :rolleyes:, that's why I'm on the turbo issue now.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Stock internals, hoped to have enough left over to go forged before the summer...

I'd imagine that I can only run a max of about 12psi safely then, right? I want times on a quarter mile later, but mostly I just want her to get up and go while I'm driving about.

The ct9 doesn't hit peak boost until something like 5,600 rpm I think on my last dyno(I'll get pics up later). I wanted something to spool and reach boost a little sooner than that, but to not fall off too fast since redline's 6800. :rolleyes:

Your best bet would be a K24 or TD04 route mate. TD04 and K24 are in very good comparison for street use and also quarter miles.

As for the PSI you run, its all about the tune and how safe it is, there has been folk in the past who have ran crazy power on the stock internals but again depends on the health of your engine.

I cant really comment what its like driving a K24 but i can with TD04 as i use mine for fast road, quarter mile and eventually track soon.

Iain

1_3LStarseo

Member +
Thanks, Iain.

I was already almost convinced, but my mechanic's just looking for a good deal for me and I appreciate his concern and sentiment, that "all things are made in Taiwan", but I don't think I can compromise.

No one's going to be running on a K24 around here, I haven't even met another turbo'd Paseo. Oh well... would've been fun to use the Subbie's td04 against them, but I don't think I could've lived with myself having the same bits. ;)

Iain@CRD

Lifer
TD04 is a very very good turbo mate, and some members have ran 270bhp on stock internals with a good tune on a TD04 :) steve ep82 is an example of this.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
270bhp is possible, easily possible with a really good tune and a nice healthy engine. Wouldnt bargain on it lasting forever.

Bear in mind as well mate, TD04's are vastly available and cheap aswell, i see some go on bbs.scoobynet for as cheap as £30 for a turbo!!

Iain

1_3LStarseo

Member +
'Tis all well and true.

When the price of a WEPR kit eluded me I thought I'd pick up a td04h($229 spanking new), have then Sacha(?) ship me the Rad Friendly kit, and have a guy throw a td04 flange on it and voila.

THEN when I realized I was paying a hell of a lot for an intercooler kit I was going to hack into little bits or not use AT ALL :(and I had second thoughts...

Found the k24, did some reading on it, liked the sound of it. Don't know, don't know. Have the money, don't know where to put it, just cautious of this all. Not a complete DIY'er either, swapped my engine with a friend in the drive, but I only knew how to start the damn thing before that, lol. there are ALWAYS extra bits you need...