turbo leak = smoking

hybrid_G4E

Member +
will it ever end?
any permanent cure to this?

was hoping it was the pcv, but after a good check the valve was okay.
now my car smokes like a chimney! gotta be that turbo again!

how do you guys kept your turbos in a good cond anyway?
is there a spell to it? or am i cursed? :slap:

GTdan

In The Closet
what turbo you got??

if you let the turbo warm up before boosting, and also cool down before you turn your engine off will prolong the life of the turbo.

alan_d

Lifer
is it smoking on idle? on boost or off? or both?
What colour is the smoke? performed a compression test recently?

hybrid_G4E

Member +
what turbo you got??

if you let the turbo warm up before boosting, and also cool down before you turn your engine off will prolong the life of the turbo.

i do a proper warmup before/after driving.

the turbine is off a SR20DET, i believe... a T25?

it gives out smokes on idle, traffic lights, warmups..

is there a permanent cure?
a new turbo ain't no cure!

turboflow

Member +
your seals are without a doubt blown on the exhuast side, you only need a small amount to burn in the exhuast to create a load of smoke, mine did this exact same thing. i am guessing if you pick up the revs it dissappears. i think it goes becuase it is seals that leak when boosting or something or other. i swapped for a brand new and it has never done it since.

chers

owen

jabran200

Member +
try an oil restrictor inline with the turbo oil feed, if turbo's are damaging the oil seals soon after you are putting them on then a restrictor is most likely needed. Turbos only need something like 30 psi of oil to operate good.

hybrid_G4E

Member +
try an oil restrictor inline with the turbo oil feed, if turbo's are damaging the oil seals soon after you are putting them on then a restrictor is most likely needed. Turbos only need something like 30 psi of oil to operate good.

so too high of an oil pressure is bad too? :eek:
okay i learnt something new today.

Dave.

Member +

Interesting theory! Never heard it before, but nice input.

jabran200

Member +
Not a theory happened to me when i put a t25 on my car, It was using oil so After doing some research I was recomendded to use an oil restrictor and thak god I hadn't damaged the turbo seals as once the restrictor was on there was no smoke from teh exhaust anymore and it's been over 8 months now.

hybrid_G4E

Member +
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-...trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ370094695290

That one will go directly on the turbo but if you are using 1/8 npt oil lines which you most liekly are then I suggest fitting a restrictor inline as these get damaged when fitting sometimes. check what size fitting is on your turbo though Usually its -4an.

heres an inline 1/8 not adjustable restrictor.

wow that outlet is almost half the inlet size? :eek:

so that means i can technically just crimp that metal oil feed line a bit, no?