turbo to intercooler bolts

Misterdan88

Member +
Right on my V the 2 bolts that hold the intercooler pipe to the turbo are both cross threaded and 1 of them i cant even get the nut off (i must of done it trying to undo them or somthing?). I now need to replace the gasket but cant get the nuts off so what can i do to get them off? Also how easy are these bolts to replace?

any help would be appreciated!

Dan

billybob

Untrusted Seller
Right on my V the 2 bolts that hold the intercooler pipe to the turbo are both cross threaded and 1 of them i cant even get the nut off (i must of done it trying to undo them or somthing?). I now need to replace the gasket but cant get the nuts off so what can i do to get them off? Also how easy are these bolts to replace?

any help would be appreciated!

Dan

mybe you might have to drill them out and retap something back in

G5EGM

Lifer
Im not a 100% but u could cut the nuts off so u can replace gasket n get intercooler pipe off, etc. then...this is wot im not 100% on......u can poss remove the threaded stud from the turbo, then simply go buy new ones from toyota.

....just my opinion :p

can someone verify that the threaded studs come off the turbo flange???

danturbo4311

Member +
the studs on the ct9 do come out, with regards to getting the nut off just get yourself a 6 sided socket so it dont round get a breaker get some leverage & take the thing off, you may find the stud will come out with the nut, if it does you can just put the stud in a vice & remove the nut simples. To get you out of trouble untill the studs come if you damage it, you could always fit a nut & bolt, if the thread on the turbo is damaged & re-tapping it doesnt solve it you can always helicoil it.

Misterdan88

Member +
the studs on the ct9 do come out, with regards to getting the nut off just get yourself a 6 sided socket so it dont round get a breaker get some leverage & take the thing off, you may find the stud will come out with the nut, if it does you can just put the stud in a vice & remove the nut simples. To get you out of trouble untill the studs come if you damage it, you could always fit a nut & bolt, if the thread on the turbo is damaged & re-tapping it doesnt solve it you can always helicoil it.

Im pretty sure the thread on the turbo is ok, just the thread on the stud.

Do toyota sell the studs? If so any 1 got a part number? il have a search too but just incase nothing comes up :)

G5EGM

Lifer
Im pretty sure the thread on the turbo is ok, just the thread on the stud.

Do toyota sell the studs? If so any 1 got a part number? il have a search too but just incase nothing comes up :)

I normally just goto Toyota n explain wot i need n they bring me a print-out diagram to comfirm n i get the parts i need......iv never needed parts numbers - just use ur engine n chassis numbers instead :)

Misterdan88

Member +
Right, took it to a few garages this morning and no1 really wants to take the job on! Said its going to be abit of a nightmare... so i have no idea what to do? dont fancy drilling them out my self.. any ideas?

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
can't see why they wouldn't do it, it's simple out no more than an hours work, if you cannot remove the nut then you more than likely have to cut it off, get a nut splitter or some heat on them.

DavidAshton

Member +
Is there enough thread to put another bolt on, tighten it again the bolt that wont come off, try an unscrew it and it will take the stud out.

Misterdan88

Member +
can't see why they wouldn't do it, it's simple out no more than an hours work, if you cannot remove the nut then you more than likely have to cut it off, get a nut splitter or some heat on them.

just tried another garage and they said they will charge 50quid an hour so might have to give them ago.. dont really have much choice do i?

Is there enough thread to put another bolt on, tighten it again the bolt that wont come off, try an unscrew it and it will take the stud out.

nah theres not enough thread for that, only way is to cut the nut off! :mad:

corofin12345

Member +
just tried another garage and they said they will charge 50quid an hour so might have to give them ago.. dont really have much choice do i?

nah theres not enough thread for that, only way is to cut the nut off! :mad:

if you can get your hands on a stud extractor it will come out no bother.. that or use a vice grips....re drill and use diferent nuts and bolts.. use lock nuts if you are doin this.. this is what i did with no problems..

danb87

South East England Area Rep
i had a similar problem mate, cross threaded bolt, got it out ok an my mate retapped the hole took 10mins.

i dont think a garage will charge too much . if there an honest garage anyway

hope this helps mate.