vaf Sensor Problem! help!!!

Hey guys I just ran a diagnostic test and I've had a high fuel consumption problem, the scanner threw that it's the VAF Sensor, could anyone tell me where this is located? Pictures would really help out? Also, any website I could buy it from who ships internationally?

Thanks in Advance.

corofin12345

Member +
heres a diagram of all fault codes on a 4efte mate.. you sure it wasnt " map sensor "...???

i see vane airflow sensor in list below but i think its something got 2 do with map sensor but not 100% sure on that.

what fault code came up on the diagnostic????? 31, 32 ??

diagnostics.jpg

Last edited:
heres a diagram of all fault codes on a 4efte mate.. you sure it wasnt " map sensor "...???

i see vane airflow sensor in list below but i think its something got 2 do with map sensor but not 100% sure on that.

what fault code came up on the diagnostic????? 31, 32 ??

diagnostics.jpg

It wasnt doing a scan that way but it was with a Scanner, he told me it said it was 31 but said VAF, then he told me that he thinks Glanza's dont actually have VAF but that it is MAF

corofin12345

Member +
done some research mate.. its your map sensor (map) or air flow sensor (afs).. do you want a picture of where they are??

a faulty air flow sensor can cause bad fuel consumption

Last edited:

corofin12345

Member +
red arrow shows map sensor but im 99% sure its your air flow sensor (afs) which is also fault code 31.. a faulty air flow sensor (afs) can cause bad fuel consumption..

air flow sensor (afs) is in yellow circle and goes into inlet manifold

P1010248-2-3-1.jpg

Last edited:
red arrow shows map sensor but im 99% sure its your air flow sensor (afs) which is also fault code 31.. a faulty air flow sensor (afs) can cause bad fuel consumption..

air flow sensor (afs) is in yellow circle

P1010248-2-3-1.jpg

Yeah he told me it was exactly that one, the one you show in the circle as the AFS but he told me it was called MAF.

That has to be cleaned or something or do i have to change it?

Also, a website where i can buy it from?
And is it compatible with another car? Maybe Tercel, Corolla or something?

Last edited:

corofin12345

Member +
take it out and clean it first and see then mate... if you need one put a wanted thread up on here or check out the traders on here for one.. im sure one of them will have one... clean it first and see tho.. they do get clogged up :)

if you find another car with a 4efte in it then go ahead and take it off it.. alot of tercels have 4efte conversions

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
The sensor located on the intake manifold is the intake air temperature (THA) sensor. Code 31 relates to the MAP sensor circuit. The first step would be to disconnect and then reconnect the MAP sensor connector, reset the ECU by removing the EFI fuse or disconnecting the battery for approx 30 seconds, take the car for a short drive to bring it up to running temperature and then check again to see which if any fault codes have been stored by the ECU.

If code 31 returns, then you'll need to take a closer look at the wiring between the MAP sensor and ECU before trying another MAP sensor.

Are you using a FCD or any other device that is connected up to the ECU?

take it out and clean it first and see then mate... if you need one put a wanted thread up on here or check out the traders on here for one.. im sure one of them will have one... clean it first and see tho.. they do get clogged up :)

if you find another car with a 4efte in it then go ahead and take it off it.. alot of tercels have 4efte conversions

Thank You Mate, this is why i love this forum, everyone helps out. Rep Added.

How should i clean it? I never done this, so i dunno what cleaning it actually implys water, wipe up something or what should i use to clean i.

The sensor located on the intake manifold is the intake air temperature (THA) sensor. Code 31 relates to the MAP sensor circuit. The first step would be to disconnect and then reconnect the MAP sensor connector, reset the ECU by removing the EFI fuse or disconnecting the battery for approx 30 seconds, take the car for a short drive to bring it up to running temperature and then check again to see which if any fault codes have been stored by the ECU.

If code 31 returns, then you'll need to take a closer look at the wiring between the MAP sensor and ECU before trying another MAP sensor.

Yeah I have an Apexi S-AFC 2 and a FCD but i took the AFC out today so it's just the FCD now. But the fuel consumption began after i relocated my air filter to the front BUT after a couple of months i put the EFI pipe back on but the consumption is still there.

corofin12345

Member +

thanks for clearing that up man and sorry.. i was told by several people on here that that was the afs sensor.. :mad:

Did the warning light come on after you removed the S-AFC 2 or was it already on?

I never got any Warning Light. I went to check it with the scanner just to see if there was something going on, that could do with the Fuel Consumption.

By doing those steps, could that really fix my fuel consumption?

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
I never got any Warning Light. I went to check it with the scanner just to see if there was something going on, that could do with the Fuel Consumption.

It would be best for you to reset the ECU, take the car for a short drive and then check again to see if any codes have been stored by the ECU.

Does the engine idle correctly and perform well aside from the high fuel consumption?

What are you considering to be high fuel consumption? How many miles/kilometres can you get from a full tank?

It would be best for you to reset the ECU, take the car for a short drive and then check again to see if any codes have been stored by the ECU.

Does the engine idle correctly and perform well aside from the high fuel consumption?

What are you considering to be high fuel consumption? How many miles/kilometres can you get from a full tank?

Well the car is set to be on 1,000 rpm on idle but it varies, sometimes it goes down lo like 700 sometimes goes to 1,200. I feel the car different, i feel it slower. I get 250 kilometers on a full tank and it's weird because if i accelerate a lot i get 250 and if i dont i also get 250, it's constant. I'm not even giving the turbo the chance to start charging, i usually drive around at 2,000rpm. Sometimes i can feel it from the exhaust like a little misfire, like as if the flow of air isnt constant on the exhaust, dunno a better way to explain it.

Due to our poor gasoline over here and horrible traffic we don't get as much kilometers as you guys but the normal average here is between 350 to 400 on Turbos.

corofin12345

Member +
sorry for butting in but you can do the diagnostic test yourself mate after resetting the ecu and taking it for a spin as "texx" said.. very easy.. just follow steps in the the diagram i posted above... hope everything gets sorted... :)

Texx

Super Moderator
Well the car is set to be on 1,000 rpm on idle but it varies, sometimes it goes down lo like 700 sometimes goes to 1,200. I feel the car different, i feel it slower. I get 250 kilometers on a full tank and it's weird because if i accelerate a lot i get 250 and if i dont i also get 250, it's constant. I'm not even giving the turbo the chance to start charging, i usually drive around at 2,000rpm. Sometimes i can feel it from the exhaust like a little misfire, like as if the flow of air isnt constant on the exhaust, dunno a better way to explain it.

There could be a number of different causes, but due to the fact most of your driving is at light throttle and you don't see any significant change in fuel consumption when pushing the engine, I'm more inclined to think that it's the O2 sensor that's causing the issue.

you can do the diagnostic test yourself mate after resetting the ecu and taking it for a spin as "texx" said.. very easy.. just follow steps in the the diagram i posted above... hope everything gets sorted... :)

Indeed, reset the ECU and then check to see if any codes have been stored. It's free and easy, all you need is a paper clip or a short length of wire.