What clutch????

ChrisW

Lifer
My clutch is in the early stages of dying on me and unfortunately I'm not too clued up on working on my own engine :confused:. Does anyone have any sort of idea what a garage may charge to fit a new clutch???

Also, I'm a bit short of cash at the mo so was thinking on just buying a standard clutch. Would this be such a bad idea if I'm only running about 150bhp, or is it worth buying a slightly uprated one i.e.exedy organic??? Replies very much appreciated!

Cheers :)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
depending on the labour rate its about a 4/5 hour job so expect to pay around 3-400 quid, thats if your suppling your own clutch.

if your planning on bigger power mate get a better clutch now or youll have to do it all over again, its just wasted expense!

it would be worth borrowing some cash now to save you 300 odd again in the future

stuart

Member +
Took me and my old man, best part of 5 hours to get gearbox out, clutch on, then lift the gearbox back on....longest part was getting the gearbox back on as we didn't have a ramp, we only had car on axle stands lol -Trying to balance it on a little 2 ton jack !! :p

Its worth spending that extra cash though, if your looking for future power!

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeah, took me 5 hours to change flywheel and clutch and get it all back together and running again.
i had an exedy std clutch and it lasted about 2 years. i did abuse it quite a bit though. i now have an organic exedy and its juddery as fuck but seems ok other than that. dont like it personally but at least it doestn slip

gayan_GT

Lifer
depending on the labour rate its about a 4/5 hour job so expect to pay around 3-400 quid, thats if your suppling your own clutch.

if your planning on bigger power mate get a better clutch now or youll have to do it all over again, its just wasted expense!

it would be worth borrowing some cash now to save you 300 odd again in the future

fook me 300-400 pounds just for labour!?!?!! it only took me roughly 25 pounds to swap gear boxes from me mates car!!! and mind you thats double the work!!!

ChrisW

Lifer
Fook me indeed lol I wasn't expecting that sort of figure either! I was maybe expecting £150-£200???

@Dac69er, what sort of power were you running on the standard exedy clutch? Also did it slip often or was it fine up until it went?

dac69er

Super Moderator
dunno what power i have now, possibly 170ish. but i was running about 150ish generally. did do a few runs up santapod on it and what killed it was a launch. once it cooled down it was still ok. would hold a bar still, wouldnt have liked another launch but it was generally ok, perfectly useable, just thought i may as well change it if it cant hold under all conditions.
it only slipped that once so it got changed. ill changed your clutch for £200 ;)

ChrisW

Lifer
I really dont want to sound stupid now lol but I'm new to the turbo scene, what is a launch? I've heard it mentioned on here loads and have a rough idea but could you enlighten me :p?? Thanks a lot

dunno what power i have now, possibly 170ish. but i was running about 150ish generally. did do a few runs up santapod on it and what killed it was a launch. once it cooled down it was still ok. would hold a bar still, wouldnt have liked another launch but it was generally ok, perfectly useable, just thought i may as well change it if it cant hold under all conditions.
it only slipped that once so it got changed. ill changed your clutch for £200 ;)

ChrisW

Lifer
Arrrr just as I thought lol. Cheers for that! :)

Oh yea and I forgot to ask, when you say your organic clutch is a bit 'juddery', what do you mean? Would you recommend one if I'm running about 150bhp and planning to hit about 180bhp in the near future???

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
well, its meant to be nice to drive with, so unless you spend silly money on the really expensive clutches it does seem your best bet. 200bhp is going to be my max.

all the exedy clutches seem to judder. just as it starts to grip, instead of slipping a bit like a std clutch would it just keeps juddering as it kepps 'grabbing'. its ok but takes some getting used to

goldenvtr

Member +
takes me 35mins to take my gearbox off now lol gettin it back on is still an arse tho, there just something about that rear mount that dosnt like going back in!

dac69er

Super Moderator
takes me 35mins to take my gearbox off now lol gettin it back on is still an arse tho, there just something about that rear mount that dosnt like going back in!

35mins? how do you manage that? takes about that long to jack it up and put it safely on axle stands. then you need to undo both mounts that hold the box. everything attached to the box, pop the driveshafts out. undo the box, drain the oil and remove it. i cant see its possible!!!!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
There's someting wrong there Duncan, I can pully away cleanly at less than 2k on a paddle!!!!

lots of people seem to have this trouble with exedy clutches. its the second one i put in and this time i put in a decent flywheel so it isnt that.
when it first went in it wasnt too bad but after about 5 miles it started getting juddery at pull away and when using engine braking unless i dumped it down.
its strange i know. its just like the 35% uprated one i had, but worse