What effect does a crash have with protected no claims?

Glanza_MK

Member +
I was driving to work this morning and my M3 must have hit mud or diesel or something coz all of a sudden the back end snapped out and span me round ending up in a field! I know exactly what the car is like and I was driving carefully in the wet so im not sure what happened! Im pretty devestated though. I'm ok, but the cars a mess. Only got one dent in the drivers door but I went through a barb wire fence and one bit of it went right over the roof - scratched to shit as is the spoiler and a bit of the rear wing. How a panel didnt get totalled i'll never know.

Anyway, question is, if I claim for this on my insurance, what effect will it have on my premium if I have protected no claims?

Also, what do you guys think the chances are of the insurance company writing the car off?

Thanks in advance

John

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Its likely that insurance may decided to write the car off as its 12 years old but then again you maybe surprised ...

As for protected no claims ive copied and pasted the following information, its well worth a read for those who think paying extra to protect your no claims that it may not be that "protected".

Your no claim discount may not be as protected as you think

Building up a no claim discount is the best way to reduce your car insurance premium. It is the reward for good driving. After 4 years of claim free driving, many insurers will give you the option to pay a small additional premium to protect it. But can you be rest assured that your valuable no claim discount will be protected no matter what? Unfortunately, the answer is often no.

According to research from esure car insurance1 many drivers don’t understand that paying to protect their precious no claim discount comes with certain caveats and it isn’t as protected as they might think. In fact, 37 per cent of drivers are not aware that there is usually a set limit to the number of claims they can make on their policy before their discount protection is overridden, reducing their no claim discount dramatically. Insurers may allow no more than one ‘at fault’ claim in the first year and no more than two over three years, rather than unlimited claims.

But from Sunday 20 April, esure will be replacing its standard no claim discount protection with ‘protection for the life of your policy’ at no extra cost - giving drivers a discount regardless of any claims made throughout the life of their policy with the company2

Unavoidable incidents can affect any driver at any time - no matter what their driving ability - such as vandalism, animal damage, car park scrapes, falling masonry or trees, and so on. ‘Protection for life’ will give safe drivers peace of mind that an unfortunate incident on the road, as well as standard ‘fault’ accidents and thefts, will not cause them to exceed the limits of standard protection and so ‘step down’ the no claim discount scale.

Iain

Glanza_MK

Member +
Thanks for that Iain, I didnt realise that about protected NC I must admit.

The car only has 57k miles on it, garaged all its life etc but I suppose that doesnt make a difference to insurance companies!!

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Thanks for that Iain, I didnt realise that about protected NC I must admit.

The car only has 57k miles on it, garaged all its life etc but I suppose that doesnt make a difference to insurance companies!!

Exactly mate, insurance companies will evaluate whether or not its best to fix it or write it off, hope you get it fixed tho bud!

I didnt realise that aswell until i came across it a few days ago :) good to share.

lingl9z

Member +
If you can show the insurance company othe examples of your car on sites like autotrader, pistonheads etc (with milage as low) it'll help determin weather to write it off or not.

malcolmgt

Member +
Most insurers follow the below.

you can have one (fault) claim in 2 policy years without it affecting your NCD.
or 2 (fault) claims in 3 policy years without it affecting.

however if you have any non fault claims it shouldnt matter to the above.

but as the name says it protects your no claims not your policy so you will have an increase in premiums. ppl assume it wont. but as it says its for No claims discount not premiums.

y3Lo

Member +
man i had a non fualt claim, was due to have 6 yrs coming up, had my renewal through and it said i had 2 yrs NCB.... wtf. luckily the broker said i can still have the 6, bloody insurance companies take the piss and drag there heels at every oppertunity.

D

daz7505

man i had a non fualt claim, was due to have 6 yrs coming up, had my renewal through and it said i had 2 yrs NCB.... wtf. luckily the broker said i can still have the 6, bloody insurance companies take the piss and drag there heels at every oppertunity.
they will always try it on, all they want is money off us lot. if you didnt argue, then they would of left it at 2 yrs.