what is the standard oil pressure?

jimmer

Member +
Hi guys, i had my oil light flicker on there and due to everyone being closed over easter i would like to know what the oil pressure should be while holding at certain revs and at idle so i can check before buying new sensros etc.

Cheers in advance

GP82

Member +
These are approx. pressure figures my guage shows me;

Cold start = 4 bar - 60 psi

Normal temp @ idle = 2.5 bar - 35 psi

Driving = 3.2 bar = 45 psi

Do you hear any abnormal noises from the engine, oil light flickering is not a good sign, i would advise not to drive it until you diagnose her!

Have you checked oil level and if so what did it read. When did you last service it. What colour is your oil and have you seen any oil on the floor. Need more info so we can help you more mate.

weeJohn

Lifer
I think that engine is allergic to high oil pressure Jimmer lol. Fully senthetic oil gives lower pressures as well, try a good mineral 10w 40 and see if it improves.

jimmer

Member +
Jay had the car for a couple of weeks and changed the oil, think he used a synthetic 10w40 as far as im aware, i changed to my preferred mobil 1 oil which pretty much stopped it, only came on a bit. There is no strange noises at all, still as quiet as a mouse, no indication that damage is being/has been done, no idle changes, not hard to start, etc.

I know what ya mean John lol, the light flickered on last year and after cleaning the switch it hadn't come back on till on the way back from jays, so hoping its just the switch. The car has done 8-9k since the light first flickered on lol.

jimmer

Member +
Chris - everything is normal mate to be honest, no smoke, no oil leaking anywhere, oil was just changed so still clear, oil level is normal, not using any, etc. I just need to get the oil pressure checked tomorrow, it only happens when the oil is fully heated up and idling, never when cold, or driving. And when it does come on there is no difference to normal, no rattling, idle drop or anything at all lol, literally just the light flickering on.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
The nominal value for toyota is 10psi per 1000rpm (this of course is over the 25psi idle value[warm]).

kon

dark_knight

Member +
low oil pressure readings when hot

i use 15w-40 & at about 70~80 deg C oil temp, i get very low pressure readings -- some times as low as 0.2bar at 800 revs of idle. in my case, what could the problem be..? i've suspected my turbo and my crank seal which leak slightly but these are all on the low-pressure side of the circuit and i doubt they would have anything to do with the pressurized side of the oil circuit.. :/

Skalabala

Member +
i use 15w-40 & at about 70~80 deg C oil temp, i get very low pressure readings -- some times as low as 0.2bar at 800 revs of idle. in my case, what could the problem be..? i've suspected my turbo and my crank seal which leak slightly but these are all on the low-pressure side of the circuit and i doubt they would have anything to do with the pressurized side of the oil circuit.. :/

Slightly worn bearings and oil pump I would say
Make sure the gauge is working like it should.

dark_knight

Member +
i believe the gauge is spot on as i get 4.5~5bar on cold starts and the pressure:rev ratio is always about right.. engine is old at 157k kms and has never had internal work done. i'm the 2nd local (3rd in total) owner so can't speak for how it was driven for the better part of it's earlier life.. :/

AdamB

Member +
Whats your fuel like over there mate? As Skalabala has said, could be due to excessive bearing clearences.

dark_knight

Member +
fuel quality + bearing clearances

i honestly wouldn't know the specific fuel quality here but we'd be lucky if it touches 88 RON.. & since you mentioned it, the excessive bearing clearances may only be down to the fact that the engine is aged at 158k+ km so that would about fit the description..

AdamB

Member +
Wow thats poor quality, you must have a lack of power :(
158k km's is only 100,000 miles, so it must be due to something else, my engine was on 180k km's before it had new big end bearings.