Which Diesel Car?

lingl9z

Member +
Will be looking to chop my MK2 Golf Gti 16v in for a diesel at some point and will have around 2k to spend, can anyone recommend a decent Diesel car, fairy new (around 2000 model)

Has to look alright.
Comfy to drive.
Good MPG
How long they last 100k, 200k miles etc?

Cheers Rich.

gv1.3

Admin
I had a 2003 2ltr diesel mondeo and it was a cracking car. I ran up 50k in a year and it never skipped a beat. My friend now has one and it is a workhorse. He has had virtually no problems with it. The mpg was very good in it too and it was one of my fav cars to drive, felt so solid on the road.

When my company forced me to change that car in 2007 they replaced it with a new Avensis. The Avensis D4D got unreal mpg... I got used to only having to fill the car up once a week! The newer avensis might be out of your price range (not sure as cars are usually stupidly cheap in the UK)... but I would consider an older avensis too.

lingl9z

Member +
Thanks for the Input I will deffo take a look in to the Mondeo/Avensis, my mate had a petrol avensis and was a pretty nice car so could be an avenue to explore, what sort of Milage are they both good for?

stavros

Member +
Ive got an 03 plate avensi0s d4d which I bought with 52k on the clock for £5500... its done over 40k in a year and hasnt missed a beat, would thoroughly reconmend it. Not sure you'll get the same model, but there are some bargains out there mate.

Edit - Just saw your mileage question. Trip recons I get around 480miles to a tank which is £60 to fill up

lingl9z

Member +
Nice one buddy, seen a few Avensis's but they've all got 120 - 160K on the clocks! 480 miles would be awesome! my gti gets around 230miles to £65ish!

gv1.3

Admin
cant remember exactly what sort of mileage the mondeo got but I remember getting around 850kms out of a fillup in the avensis, it was some chariot!

stavros

Member +
Aslong as they've been serviced regularly and cambelts etc are in place, then they are good to go. Other thing I read on a forum somewhere, is they can be picky about where you get diesel from. Aparantly all the detergants supermarket diesel has in it, it cleans the tank out and pulls all of the shit through your fuel pump, thus knackering it, its quite a common problem from what I read. Other than that, bullet proof

lingl9z

Member +
Sweet cheers for that guys, need to start saving and it's virtually impossible running a car I will end up spending all my money on lol!

lingl9z

Member +
Pug's have surprised me quiet a bit actually ! the 306-gti-6 I had, had 145k miles on the clock and never missed a beat! so I assume the diesel version would be just as awesome but with decent mpg, will take a look!

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
I have an old 306 (non common rail) and I really rate it for what it is. It's sort of slow, but handles ok. Bought it for one reason though, money. It's cheap to run and insure and it returns great mileage.

churcherj

Member +
seat ibiza tdi 130bhp standard, had mine mapped to 185bhp so quite rapid and once gave me 68 mpg on a run and never dropped below 40 round town (even booting it) was quite comfortable too :) bullet proof VAG diesel engine, never gave me any issues, solid as hell!

addz

Member +
Any German 1.9 TDi range should see you good mileage.

I have no figures but these return very good miles, be it a A3 or Golf - but not sure if it's within your price range. Google should find you figures:)

Phil

Super Moderator
i get close to 60mpg (57) out of my 2004 ford fiesta tdci.

comfy and spacious for all it is.

and 2k could get you one. might need to stretch to 2.5k to get low or decent milage.

Phil

lingl9z

Member +
thanks for all the replies, deffinitly gives me a good choice of cars to look at etc, all being well I can sell my golf and get a nice economical diesel :) (I did say that like 3 cars ago though...)

Rep to all !