Which oil catch can

keeno

Member +
I'm looking for an oil catch can for my yoke, but the majority I've come accross so far have only had one in and one out connection. I'm afetr one that I can run the two Breather connections to and still have another port for a breather filter or run back to the inlet manifold. Anyone no of any company that makes one that'd suit my needs?

Cheers

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i was looking for one this week. if i where you il get one that you can remove the top part like wheejhon's one

Originally Posted by weeJohn
Thats the whole point of a catch can mate, when the vented gasses pass through the catch can the vapours are "dropped" in the can to prevent them going into the inlet.

Not 100% efficient, some vapours will still get through, but the majority wont.

Gee in my opinion your set up is wrong. There is nothing in your set up that will remove the vapours from the crankcase into the can. Have you ever had to empty it?

This is my setup, please dont think this is a way of showing how yours is wrong as its different from mine, this is the way I do it.

DSC00246.jpg

I use 2 pvc valves so as the valve nearest the inlet mani closes under boost, preventing the can getting pressurised. The valve in its normal place stops anything in the can being sucked back into the crankcase. The breather filter does as it named, its on the other pipe off the rocker, where the standard dump valve hose was connected.

I get an emulsified oil in my catch can, like a melted bar of fudge.

I empty it about every 6 months, the ammount in it varies.

monka

Member +
If you want to run your breather set up like that then use a breather filter DO NOT run it back to the manifold,

weeJohn

Lifer
If you want to run your breather set up like that then use a breather filter DO NOT run it back to the manifold,

I know why you say this, but can you help me out with this.....If you do not connect the can back to the inlet manifold, how do you suck fresh air into the block and the toxic gasses out of the block without the vacuum of the inlet manifold????????

Connection to the inlet gives a vacuum of about -0.3 bar on idle and most times at lower speed cruise, hard to get that any other way in my opinion.

I dont want to start a row mate, I would just like to hear your thoughts on this. I am aware and have shown recently the ammount of gunk that could be sucked into the inlet tract without filtration in the catch can, but the fact that I have had that ammount of gunk sucked out of the block, shows me it is working efficiently. I would rather have it in the can than in the block contaminating the oil.

Spoonz

Member +
o wait i can see u have the normal PCV valve in the roker and connected another to the pipe but an u do this with a cusco can??

weeJohn

Lifer
I think that is a Cusco can I have mate, cant be sure but. Its not the can that allows you to do it, its the pipes.

I love a good arguement as well as the next man, and I always look for information to back up my side of the argument ant run down the opposing debator lol.

I have just found this information, have a look at post #5 by MFactory, this actually makes a lot of sense now as to why there are different views about this modification.

This was new information to me.........

http://www.ek9.org/forum/engine/3486-oil-catch-tank.html

I know its Honda based but its the Jap origon that I am referring to. It seems I have a pvc can, not an oil catch can. To keep the argument going (LOL) I will say that this is the correct set up for a Starlet as the EP rocker cover has a baffle fitted to the inside of it to prevent oil splashing out of the spouts on the top of it.

So whos next then lol....................

Spoonz

Member +
lool im gonna change mine to that and see what happens i'll empty the cath can and see how much is in there and 3 months later i will do it again

Spoonz

Member +
also what about the people who have the fixings welded on there roker that go to the ath tank which has no PVC valve??
What do u think about those?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
the only time you will get oil out of the top cover breather is when you have something wrong in the engine or when you do an extrem turn at a good speed (happen to me last week and was shitting myself that i cracked a piston)

i will do a setup like weejhons as he is the only one on here that backed his setup with proof.. that can was full of junk so it is working perfectly!

dan_ep82

Member +
i have mine setup as below:

GTrunning003.jpg

the blue hose coming off the catch tank goes back into the air intake so that all through the rev range there is a vacume, drawing the crank case pressure out alot of the big bhp supras and most other cars run like this.

Spoonz

Member +
^^^^thast what im on bout if u have those fixings but dont have the 3rd pipe goin to has dans is the intake dose it actually do anything?

weeJohn

Lifer
i have mine setup as below:

GTrunning003.jpg

the blue hose coming off the catch tank goes back into the air intake so that all through the rev range there is a vacume, drawing the crank case pressure out alot of the big bhp supras and most other cars run like this.

I have seen this set up before on some cars, but my thoughts on this were if there is no can filtration, the vacuum will draw the gunk into the inlet tract, in your case through the turbo, intercooler, throttle body and intake plenum.

This is what was in my catch can...
Gunkycatchcan.jpg

This gunk was caught in a filter mesh between the connection to the rocker cover and the vacuum, thats what is entering your inlet tract.

Although the fact you have connected both hoses via a tee means that there is not really a passage of air through the can, as there is nowhere in the block to allow air in to replace the air that the vacuum of the inlet tract is sucking out.

munday

Member +
I still think the best set up is to have it venting to atmosphere and its gonna take a hell of a lot to change my mind!

No matter whether you have a pcv valve or not. Most cars have the metal gauze type stuff in the rocker cover to prevent oil coming out of the breathers, but it does not prevent oil vapour leaving the rocker cover...

Vent it to atmosphere and you have no oil lining the inlet manifold or octane dilution occuring because of the oil vapour. Plus the crankcase is always under positive pressure from the blowby gasses past the piston rings so no danger of not having the pressure there...

Why use anything else? :homer:

weeJohn

Lifer
I still think the best set up is to have it venting to atmosphere and its gonna take a hell of a lot to change my mind!

LOL I am not trying to change your mind, just get it working on a different thought.

The thought is, would you rather have all the gunk that is in my catch can, in your can, or in your oil???

Becuase if its not sucked out, then thats where it goes.