Which one to let go?

gv1.3

Admin
Hi all,

Long time no speak.

I am making room for a new car and so I have to let one of the old ones go. I am going to keep one as a track car as now I have something I can tow a trailer with. Here is the dilemma - which car should I keep for the track and which one should I get rid of?

Car 1 - 1998 Glanza V. On ct9 with FMIC, FCD and rrfpr. Last time she was dyno'd the result was 165bhp I think. She has a blitz electronic boost controller and speed meter. Is on TRD coilovers, rear cusco strut brace, braided brake lines, grooved discs, mintex 1144 pads, 15 inch buddyclub wheels.

Car 2 - 1998 MR2 GTS Rev 5. Relatively stock (I think) 3sgte with stock turbo. Has a blitz induction kit, replaced the stock rear brake calipers, discs and pads recently. Tein coilovers. Staggered 16 inch Rays ce28's. Last dyno had it at 280bhp

I love the Glanza but am leaning toward keeping the mr2 as a better platform for track fun.

Any opinions/ideas/comment?

thanks.

mossie477

Member +
which is your favourite? i had an evo before and the glanza and it was the evo that went.. but then that was keeping one for road use not track.. although the evo would have still gone

Jay

Admin
Both have their good and bad points as track machines Dy, but seeing and hearing of how much a pain in the hole the MR2 is to work at I'd stick to the easy option and build a fun FWD track slag given the choice myself!

Depends how you feel on the matter though, after driving the Wee John/Ted track MR2 I was quite taken with the RWD handling. A bit more technique required through the corners than with the EP chassis that's for sure.

Fizturbo

Member +
Spoilt for choice there,i was in same situation few weeks ago had to let 1 go out of the three cars.
Av js sold the mr2 gts recently and am already missin it big time even though the starlet Gt is runnin more power.
Oh the 3rd car is diesal 0-60 30sec :haha:

Paul_JJ

Member +
For the track I would keep the MR2 as it's a RWD with big potential to modify, I think Tim managed 900 bhp on his MR2 -))))). For the daily driver - Glanza no questions.

gv1.3

Admin
hmmm so I had thought about the Glanza being an easier beast to work on. Anything I have done on the MR2 to date has been a pain in the hole.

I like each one for different reasons so its a tough choice. As they stand now the MR2 would destroy the Glanza but the reason I never made many mods to the Glanza was due to potential troubles passing the NCT with emissions etc but if its a track car then that doesnt really matter. Also I have a gearbox with LSD sitting there that I never had the chance to fit to the Glanza.

*more indecisive than I was before I started this thread*

One question - is there a way to significantly lower the driving position of the Glanza. Would an aftermarket seat and rails do this? I sat in the Glanza for the first time in ages and compared to the MR2 it feels like sitting in a delivery van :p

Fizturbo

Member +
The cockpit position in an mr2 drivers seat is awesome and a buzz of go gart feelin :haha:
Thers not much you can do to the glanza seats to make it as low...

Phil

Super Moderator
Im unsure, but i think it might be tempted to keep the MR2 GTS if i had one.

But if thats your favuorite ep in the right colour age etc then there is no point whatsoever to selling it.

Phil

D3N0

Member +
hmmm so I had thought about the Glanza being an easier beast to work on. Anything I have done on the MR2 to date has been a pain in the hole.

I like each one for different reasons so its a tough choice. As they stand now the MR2 would destroy the Glanza but the reason I never made many mods to the Glanza was due to potential troubles passing the NCT with emissions etc but if its a track car then that doesnt really matter. Also I have a gearbox with LSD sitting there that I never had the chance to fit to the Glanza.

*more indecisive than I was before I started this thread*

One question - is there a way to significantly lower the driving position of the Glanza. Would an aftermarket seat and rails do this? I sat in the Glanza for the first time in ages and compared to the MR2 it feels like sitting in a delivery van :p

Keep the glanza. An aftermarket seat rail will bring the position lower.

purely from knowing about the glanza...i'd keep the glanza---it can be made to handle very well;; power upgrades relatively cheap;; easy access to wide range of parts from places you already know;; probably cheaper and easier to maintain/repair (based on what was said before);; 4e/5e engine seems rather strong (and cheap to replace if broken)

i'm not too clued on 3sgte/mr2----so my opinion is a bit biased...lol

gv1.3

Admin
thanks for all the feedback lads.

I was leaning toward getting rid of the Glanza but for now The Glanza stays!

Now to figure out what happens to the MR2. She is probably one of the most interesting cars I have driven. It feels like someone who loved to drive and have fun with a car designed it. From the driving position to the handling and power delivery, I love her.

2 track cars maybe?

Iain@CRD

Lifer

Bride super low seat rail will do this as i have the same issue, also a deep dish steering wheel helps alot if you dont have one already.

get rid of the mr2 haha!

This aswell :haha: