who's seen one of these speed cameras?

J25GTi

Lifer
Its a 2ft square yellow box with a tripod legs stading about 3.5ft tall? Mobile on the side of the road?

How does it catch you as it was facing towards me? I was in my van doing 60 on the a35 but because of the size of my van the speed limit is 50 :( hoping it can only go one way!

How long is it until a ticket will be issed? What's the maximum amount of time until I know?

Cheers

Rob H

Member +
Most of the newer ones round here get you as you approach them so they get a photo with the driver on it. It will be the same as the ones we have around hear but they have them in the back of a van parked up!!

J25GTi

Lifer
But the manned ones can differentiate between a van and car as they are manually operated. Could this one? As how can it tell ig it is a van or not?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
van139.jpg

This?

Suppose to be so they can park the van out of view and still catch offenders. As Rob said its designed to catch you on the approach and to give you as little chance as possible really.

J25GTi

Lifer
Looks about right iain, it was on the opposite side of the road and facing towards me. So is it like a regular camera and can only get you. Going away from it?

Rob H

Member +
I often wondered how any of them can tell the difference between cars,trucks,tractors and vans as there is different speed limits for all of them. I know for trucks and busses its 30-mph on 30 roads 40 in 60 zones unless it's a dual carriage way then its 56 I think and then on motor ways 56-mph or 90-km the speed limiter is set at on trucks and then coaches are different again lol the can do 65-mph I think it is. I should Know the proper speeds as I do tacho calibrations and speed limiters at work but I always have to check the book lol

Rob H

Member +
If it was on the other side of the road I think you will be safe as they tend to be on the same side of the road as you.

J25GTi

Lifer
I bloody hope so. I'm going to be savage if I got caught, I do 100k miles a year, so I can't complain too much I suppose! I would have spotted it if it was a van or something but I've never seen one of these before! What is the time frame on receiving the ticket?

Edit - oh shit.. . http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/mini_gatso_speed_camera.htm

Looks like I got had then! Let's just hope my indicated 60mph on the speed was actually 55mph and within the limits...

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I bloody hope so. I'm going to be savage if I got caught, I do 100k miles a year, so I can't complain too much I suppose! I would have spotted it if it was a van or something but I've never seen one of these before! What is the time frame on receiving the ticket?

Edit - oh shit.. . http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/mini_gatso_speed_camera.htm

Looks like I got had then! Let's just hope my indicated 60mph on the speed was actually 55mph and within the limits...

Couple of weeks normally. Ive passed a few GATSO area's before especially when i travel up and down from Kevins and never heard anything back, all depends if they've setup the Cameras with the 10% rule.

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
ive never heard or seen these cameras before. up in cumbria there is only a couple anyway. surely leaving them un attended on the side of the road is just asking for people to smash them up or atleast knock them over??

Paul_JJ

Member +
I often wondered how any of them can tell the difference between cars,trucks,tractors and vans as there is different speed limits for all of them. I know for trucks and busses its 30-mph on 30 roads 40 in 60 zones unless it's a dual carriage way then its 56 I think and then on motor ways 56-mph or 90-km the speed limiter is set at on trucks and then coaches are different again lol the can do 65-mph I think it is. I should Know the proper speeds as I do tacho calibrations and speed limiters at work but I always have to check the book lol

Number plate recognition? That would tell all the details of the vehicle and issue a fine if exceeding the speed limit.

But all this cameras are just money hoovering system, which doesn't improve safety in any way.