wilwood brake kit

glanza300

Member +
anybody have any experience with mc-chu s wilwood brake kit that he has for sale in the traders section?just wanted to know has anyone used this kit are they good/bad?

Gee

Member +
Apprantly they are REALLY good...once they get heat!

Are they 4 POT's? Super dooper over kill on a road car, but people still buy them. I guess they look nice.

You can trust Mc_Chu anyway, he's a good guy and I never get import tax from stuff posted by him.

glanza300

Member +
thanks for the quick reply mate ive a 5e coversion done with k26 turbo , my car wont be a daily driver manily for track days drag events and the odd weekend driver, and yes they are the 4pots its just its very reasonable in price and looks good

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I'm using the wilwood kit that Dave B sells, its class. Plenty of stopping power for when you need it. Gee's right though, might be a bit over kill on a road car but hey.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
tbh i dont ever see brakes as overkill.

maybe if there so strong that it actually increases brake time then ok.

but if its just because there very strong then i cant see a problem

glanza300

Member +
just looking at the kit mcchu sells the disks are 280mm and it doesnt say what width they are does anybody no how big they are compared to standard disks?

Gee

Member +
If it is going to be a trackday car then fair do's. Heard only good results about them, will be fade free on track.

Brakes can be overkill. The can seriously alter the way your car behaves under breaking and can take longer to get to optimum operating temp.

You have to consider the weight of a Starlet also.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yea i can understand that, but surely a choice of pad can contribute to wat kinda heat range they work at?

tbh ive never been in a 4 pot starlet, maybe 2 pot at the rear would give it a much better balance all round

Gee

Member +
Yeah to some extent I guess.?

Not got first hand expereince of them, but people using them have told me they are not very good when cold. I know brakes generally are not, but for a road car you wont braking power from the offset.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yeah if they are absolutely wank from the begining then it could be a bit dangerous!

im sure it could be easily sorted tho

Gee

Member +
Well there ya go.

A member her has them and says they are fine from cold.

Another member says they are wank from cold.

LOL

I guess with common sense and getting used to the new padel feel & power you will be fine.

steo800

Member +
ive got dave b's kit and they work fine from cold

who said they are crap from cold?

as for overkill, if its just gonna be a road car then there probably no point in buying bigger brakes at all

but if your gonna track your car, defo worth the investment

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Doesn't matter what size caliper's you have that doesn't alter the need for more heat for them to start working, its the pad's that require the heat to start working and if you want them working from cold choose a different compound.

FeNder

Member +
i got the wilwood kit from mc_chu aswell , its alright from cold and very good when heated up ! would go for it everytime !!

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Doesn't matter what size caliper's you have that doesn't alter the need for more heat for them to start working, its the pad's that require the heat to start working and if you want them working from cold choose a different compound.
#

EXACTLY!

I have the willwood kit also from MC_CHU and they are an excellent bit of kit.... The pads im using (RED STUFF) i find don't operate great when there not up to temps, thats is just my experience anyway.

But the kit overall provide very good stability under extreme load. Overkill? My backside. Not at all... They don't really lock up either when braking hard... I find them very well.

10 out 10

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
#

EXACTLY!

I have the willwood kit also from MC_CHU and they are an excellent bit of kit.... The pads im using (RED STUFF) i find don't operate great when there not up to temps, thats is just my experience anyway.

But the kit overall provide very good stability under extreme load. Overkill? My backside. Not at all... They don't really lock up either when braking hard... I find them very well.

10 out 10
Your engine probably helps your brakes as well due to the extra weight over the front wheels on the brakes, helps force them tyres into the ground :)