Yet more bloody problems!

Rik

Member +
Took car out tonight (was fine last time i took it out, couple of days ago). All of a sudden its idleing at 1.5-2k and staying there. Water pissing out of overflow, heaters blowing cold, battery and temp. lights are coming on, on the dash. I'm guessings its signs of the headgasket gone, which if it is im not too fussed as i was going to forge this winter. Just means i will start sooner.

Could it be anything else? It's a new rad so not that and new samco hosing so nothing wrong there. I've got a new water thermostat to go on and my alternator is on its last legs so could that be doing anything? I've got another alt. to go on just not had time to get round to doing it yet, going to put it on tomorrow, probably along with the thermostat now.

Anyone have any input on what to check first (cheapest stuff!) rather than me going all out on the engine. Should i get tests done etc? The water looked abit milky when it was coming out the overflow but couldn't see much as its pitch black out! Basically starts pissing water when its warmed up.

Cheers.

Rik

Member +
The belt is a new one, last one was shagged! But like i said, alternator is on last legs so maybe putting the new one on will sort it. The rad cap is also a new one, 1.3 SARD one. Did the same with my old one on the old rad as well.

glanzaV195

Member +
did you check for air locks when you re filled the system?
does the system pressurise then blow it all out or does it just blow out constantly even when cold etc?

scubadaz

Member +
mate check oil for signs of discolouration ie whitish
if ok then maybe thermostat sticking
{ easy things to check first }

nexia201

Member +
Took car out tonight (was fine last time i took it out, couple of days ago). All of a sudden its idleing at 1.5-2k and staying there. Water pissing out of overflow, heaters blowing cold, battery and temp. lights are coming on, on the dash. I'm guessings its signs of the headgasket gone, which if it is im not too fussed as i was going to forge this winter. Just means i will start sooner.

Cheers.

He said heaters blowing cold so it must be the heater rad thats inside the car that is blocked or causing the problem ,Try by passing it by connecting the 2 pipes in the engine bay and see if that solves the problem then proceed from there.

Rik

Member +
Erm ok, i think i've found why the batt light and other stuff are messing up, i've checked it this morning, and found there was no alternator belt...at all. It must have snapped last night, should have defo changed my alternator sooner! Ooops :| I'm surprised it has started with no belt lol gonna have to go get one today.

There was no milky looking water etc. so i don't think my headgasket has gone. Ran the car and no water really bubbled out, there was the odd bubble but i think it was airlocked. Oil level is fine, no watery oil! I'll see what happens with new alternator and thermostat. Hopefully it's all down to the belt going walkabout!

Jay

Admin
The engine overheated because the alternator belt drives the waterpump.

Without the waterpump turning then the car will overheat. Just hoping that you haven't cooked it enough to damage the headgasket mate!

Keep us posted.

Rik

Member +
The engine overheated because the alternator belt drives the waterpump.

Without the waterpump turning then the car will overheat. Just hoping that you haven't cooked it enough to damage the headgasket mate!

Keep us posted.

Yeah man, didn't expect to find that this morning lol got a new belt now so gonna whack it on. Hopefully will be ok, tough shit if its not eh haha.

Aga, i'm guessing it didn't help with the bearings fucked on it but i imagine the belt being too tight was the main contributer.

Time to go fix :)