after being on the rollers........ can someone make sense of this?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Hi guys. Ok so after front mounting my air filter and having my head ported and polished I thought getting it on the rollers to check fuelling would be a good idea. So I dropped my car off in the morning and asked the guy to up the boost from 0.9bar to 1.1 bar or whatever he could safely get. Anyway a few hours later I get a call from the fella and he said basically there's nothing he can do to it, its already running 1.2bar (avcr says 0.9) and the fuelling is spot on (8.5% at full throttle if that means anything to anyone). He also said he had it on the dyno and it made 120whp. Now then maybe this is me being optimistic but I made 150whp with a cracked head and EFI pipe. Is this fella full of shit? How the hell can a hybrid supposedly running 1.2bar only make 120whp! I've got it booked in somewhere else in august but I just wondered what your guys opinion was.

Oh yeah, also my mate was sat behind my car the other day and he said when I put my foot down it fucking stinks, like unburnt fuel sorta smell. Will this be due to over fuelling?

sx_turbo

Lifer
where did you take it to mate?

sounds like his machine is broken that reads boost, i would take it elsewhere, shame as thats more money wasted

Monkfish

Member +
Try somewhere else, get a second opinion. AVCR's tend not to be inacturate, unless you plumbed it into the radiator or something :homer:. 8.5% on WOT also sounds way out. I'm sure you want something like 12% at an absolute minimum, but I could be wrong.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
A local place mate, never heard of it before, guess thats a lesson learn't. Oh eah, another thing that makes me think he's fulla shit, he didn't charge me anything! Got it booked in with owen developments in August, just not sure how safe my car will be till then, I'm taking it on the 1/4 mile on sunday. I guess if it smells like unburnt fuel atleast i won't pop by going lean right?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Yeah I thought that too Monk but if its smells like its over fuelling I'm thinking he just plucked a random figure out the air. TBH mate I'm so pissed off with how difficult it is to find someone thats actually good at what they do, modding so far has been nothing but hassle, the results are worth it but fuck me its hard work!

Adam_Glanza

Member +
you could go bang by being over rich mate i wouldnt risk it too much!

aye sounds like the guy probably didnt even get time to put it on the rollers and just blagged u up lol

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
He said that 8.5% is slightly richer than he'd tune it to, he said he'd tune to 8% but that extra0.5% won't cause any harm, I won't be getting borewash or anything. Still doesn't explain why my car stinks! I'll deffo take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion. It still isn't set up how I want it and I still can't figure out how to sort my avcr out so it holds 1bar properly.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Is 8% too lean then? Is AFR and % the same thing when it comes to fuel? What should it be tuned to ideally?

It is getting taken somewhere else, just got impatient and took it to this place, luckily I hadn't got round to cancelling my appointment at owen developments!

ChrisGT

Member +
8.5:1 is way too rich! When I was at my dyno the bloke explained that he'd shoot for 12:1 as that was safest! Take it elsewhere buddy!

EDIT: Just dug out my dyno printout: at 15.5psi peak boost my full load AFR was 11.8:1 mate, so you're definately rich as fook!

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
yeah id imagine whoever was behind could have had a wet patch on their front bumper its soo rich!

that is if 8% relates to AFR.

11 is on the safe side 12 ideal?(12.4 did i read somewhere>?) and 14/15 if your going up the strip turning round and rebuilding your engine.

Phil

Last edited:

TurboDave

Member +
AFR's tend to be around 14-14.5 on idle and then when you start creating boost the tuner richens the mixture down to around 11.5-12.

If it is at an AFR of 8 I would be very concerned with borewash.

:)

ChrisGT

Member +
If it is at an AFR of 8 I would be very concerned with borewash.

What, Dave?

:p

*heard it before, but it makes me rofl!*

In all seriousness, that is rich mate. 8.5:1 at full load is mad! What are you using? A FPR/FCD combination? I think that would explain the lackluster whp figures!

TurboDave

Member +
I would say that 11.5 is a safe map while at full boost and load. Starting at 14/15 on idle and while cruising and then as soon as boost is detected drop down to 11.5 and hold it as far as possible.

There should be loads of AFR maps on here somewhere its just finding them and having a look!

:)

TurboDave

Member +
What, Dave?

:p

*heard it before, but it makes me rofl!*

In all seriousness, that is rich mate. 8.5:1 at full load is mad! What are you using? A FPR/FCD combination? I think that would explain the lackluster whp figures!

Borewash lol it sounds like Burwash, if your having borewash too much fuel is entering the cylinders, not being burnt, leaked past the rings into the sump and mixing with the oil = very bad :).