Am I about to be scammed?!

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
Had an email when i got home last night from someone replying to my pistonheads advert.

It was from a guy in Malta saying he was very interested in the car, and that he wanted my number...

I replied back with my number and a couple hours later i got a call from his agent in Malta, he said he was coming to the UK tomorrow (weds) and he had been told to come and collect my car along with others he was already coming over to collect.

He said, the guy who sent me the initial email has agreed to pay the asking price, so the agent will come to me with cash for the car. Baring in mind, the actual buyer didnt ask any questions, my write up of the car was quite comprehensive but i still think i would have asked a lot of questions if the roles were reversed!

Anyway, the agent seemed like a nice guy on the phone and said he owned a glanza before and that he was a member on this site but he sold it for an ek9, if any Malta guys think they know him please let me know because I don't know if this guy is genuine or what.....

I have his name which i will send via PM to any Malta guys if they think this rings a bell.

Thanks very much guys!
J

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Well if he's bringing the cash price you want mate & collecting in person, you should be all good to go...

Just would have been hesitant if he wanted it imported over there and funds to be transferred etc.. etc.

Does seem funny that no more questions were asked

Craig_GT

Lifer
Well if he's bringing the cash price you want mate & collecting in person, you should be all good to go...

Just would have been hesitant if he wanted it imported over there and funds to be transferred etc.. etc..

x2...

only thing with meeting up, just watch the scams where "buyers" show up and steal from you.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I guess the only concerns i have is,

1. will i get raped and robbed
2. is the money going to be counterfeit

Get someone or a couple of people to be with you (body builders if possible :p)

and you can go to the bank with him to check all the cash.... and if he dosent want to do that.... then dont accept. Alot of people do this anyway, its expected when handing over thousands of £££

gglavin

Member +
ya bring lads with you & make sure the money isnt fake. dont accept cash without being checked over, if hes not happy then tell him where to go

I would do that, but he said he wouldnt be at mine until around 6-7pm - ie: after the banks have closed...

A counterfeit marker.

Meet him in a busy fuel station where there would be plenty of cctv cameras.

Afterall there is a good chance he is 100% sound and genuine. Your Glanza is mint and no questions need be asked about it lol!

Spoonz

Member +
wen u get the money check all the serial numbers on the side arnt the same has wen making counterfit money u use the same note wen copyin,

Also make sure you dont meet him where u live has this is how Car thiefs can opperate (coming back later on)

And have ppl with you

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
yea he's paying in gbp, meeting him at a petrol station is a good idea actually.

I have no real reason to think he isn't genuine, seems a really nice bloke and asked the right sort of questions etc

bucketep91

Member +
there are dodgy notes going around just now that have the uv markings on them and its really hard to tell them apart just be carefull id personally have him go to the bank with u and have the notes checked as it does seem quite odd by him not asking questions. the guy may well be genuine but dont take any chances.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
there are dodgy notes going around just now that have the uv markings on them and its really hard to tell them apart just be carefull id personally have him go to the bank with u and have the notes checked as it does seem quite odd by him not asking questions. the guy may well be genuine but dont take any chances.

Well the guy is from Malta so may not have dodgy notes that are floating around the UK.

Plus.... the guy is coming after banks are closed!

Rumel786

Member +
wen u get the money check all the serial numbers on the side arnt the same has wen making counterfit money u use the same note wen copyin,

Also make sure you dont meet him where u live has this is how Car thiefs can opperate (coming back later on)

And have ppl with you

Def agree to all three comments there, keep a few people with you and be extra careful mate, you never know what can happen.

It may be genuine but viewing a car and coming a day later from a different country without asking questions doesnt seem right to me tbh.

Unless he comes in a large car transporter lorry with cash with other cars on it and a Maltese registeration plate then DO NOT sell it to him.