any one having boost control issues using hdi boost controler

keirz

Member +
well just to state im not slagging off the product. could just be a user error.

is anyone else who is using the hdi ebc have problems with erractic boost?

basically i fitted the ebc, took it out on a test run and all was well. didnt really give it a big test just a couple of runs to set the controller to just under 1 bar. all was working fine.

its happened twice now where the boost has just shot up uncontrolably to about 20psi before i noticed so would have kept going i feel if i didnt jump straight off the pedal. then after that it just went back to the boost i set it too. it done it in 3rd gear, at about 3500 rpm then foot to the floor it flew up to 20psi.

i had no problems with boost creep or anything before when ran just on the hks actuator, held boost and never crept so its not that.

its running fine again at the minute but im very wary as i you can not always keep your eye on the boost at all times.

any ideas?

Ted

Member +
i have one and it spikes up quite high then falls down as the revs go up. very annoying. think i need a better one

keirz

Member +
the thing is it runs fine 98% of the time. it goes to about 14psi and stays there lovely. just the odd occasion this overboost has happened

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
having the same problems as you mate, one day it's fine, next it's all over the show, seemed to hold boost fine at 1 bar, but any higher and it's rather erratic. i blamed it on my internal wastegate but now i'm external and rock stable at spring base pressure it's pointing to the ebc.

aaronw

Member +
im pretty sure mine hasnt missed a beat since i installed it.

will keep an eye on it as i havent noticed anything like this.

Glanza_cl

Member +
I sold my HDI ebc-r as i found it just didn't hold and control the boost as i wanted, found it really hard to get a stable boost curve using it and that wasn't at high boost levels either

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
jesus i just purchased one of these because i was reading all yere good reviews on it then this thread pops up slating it make up yere minds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:haha::haha::haha:

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
ya me neither but its to late now mine is in the post will have to do i suppose but still very :mad::mad:

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
jesus i just purchased one of these because i was reading all yere good reviews on it then this thread pops up slating it make up yere minds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:haha::haha::haha:

i didn't want to make assumptions, in my case i had poor boost control due to big turbo/small wastegate. but now i'm running external on a td04 i can make a better diagnosis as to what's causing my problem.

i'm going to run the car for a few days with the ebc-r permantly on in high boost and see if it holds boost better, as i often use the rocket switch, boost it, the switch it back off and run low boost again. this is when i notice the problem.

Glanza_cl

Member +
there good but very basic you don't get any fine adjustments for boost levels and have no gain settings either. but still good value for money

kieran.s gt

Member +
i didn't want to make assumptions, in my case i had poor boost control due to big turbo/small wastegate. but now i'm running external on a td04 i can make a better diagnosis as to what's causing my problem.

i'm going to run the car for a few days with the ebc-r permantly on in high boost and see if it holds boost better, as i often use the rocket switch, boost it, the switch it back off and run low boost again. this is when i notice the problem.

could be the rocket switch i leave mine on high always and haven't had any problems yet lol

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
well i have ordered the rocket switch also and will have tail ext wstgate with td04 so will be in exact same position your in so will be interesting to see how things work out

keirz

Member +
i dont have the rocket switch so that rules that out.

its happend again today, this morning to work it was spot on. coming home it boosted way to high again. ive come home turned it all the way down and reseting the boost that way. now its boosting to the right level again,

what ive noticed is last time i set it up 1 bar was a third of a turn on the nob.

this time ive set it up and 1 bar is just over half on the nob. how can this be, nothing at all has changed with the actuator or any other part of the car.

the problem points to one thing, the ebc, as ive ran just on the actuator for 2 years and never had a problem wit boost control.

would be nice to here from dane on this,
any opinions or advise or problems your aware of dane?

ktl

Member +
I dont get no boost creep although it dont hold boost very well. But it could be down to having the standard EFI pipe in place ?

I dunno but im thinking off geting a relocation kit to see if it rules the problem out

keirz

Member +
it is seems to be holding boost ok when it works. its just the odd time it overboost as if the boost has been adjusted

mike can you supply picture of how you have it mounted please? ie positinon of the selionoid thing and vac lines.

i know i have it plumbed in right. its just that its quite a distance from the turbo and cant find a better place. also what earth and ignition positive you used?

Last edited: