Crank shaft oil seal - help

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
anyone got any pics while changing the oil seal after the crankshaft pulley?

found a drop of oil and seems its coming from there..

i guess i need this part number - 15101a

diag_2byr20.png

LINK FOR IMAGE TO BE CLEAR!

how easy to change?

cheers

Jay

Admin
Dead easy to change but a bugger to get to.

Car up on ramp.
Driveshafts out.
Gearbox off.
Clutch & Flywheel off.
Pry out seal and push new one in keeping it even all the way around.

Rebuild.

Your clutch may need replaced depending on the oil thrown onto it from the flywheel.

Jay

Admin
Also that doesn't look like the right diagram for the crankshaft seal mate?

Let me check..

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
maybe im wrong then? im saying the one on the drivers side.. after the pulley for the alternator and power steering! not the one after the flywheel!

350ep70gr

Member +
lol jay.. you got which one i mean now? still easy to change? lol

Easy enough Sheldon. You remove the crank pulley,the belt cover,belt,crank gear and you see the seal around the crank shaft on the oil pump.Take it out and press a new one inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbzxCaEvAKY&feature=related

Min 8:00. Hope you get the idea where the seal is located. (And time to change the damaged crank pulley)

Chris

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Easy enough Sheldon. You remove the crank pulley,the belt cover,belt,crank gear and you see the seal around the crank shaft on the oil pump.Take it out and press a new one inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbzxCaEvAKY&feature=related

Min 8:00. Hope you get the idea where the seal is located. (And time to change the damaged crank pulley)

Chris

thanks chris. that looks easy! will i need a gasket also? yeah il defo change the pulley now too!! thanks

350ep70gr

Member +
thanks chris. that looks easy! will i need a gasket also? yeah il defo change the pulley now too!! thanks
No gasket needed unless you remove the oil pump.If you remove it you need o-ring and sealant for the pump and sealant for the sump. I suggest not to remove the pump and just use a screwdriver to attack the old seal to death.:p Then with a soft hammer and a cylinder (like a 30 socket tool) hit it gently to slip inside.

Chris

turboflow

Member +
small warning sheldon, the crank pulley is a huge whore to get off, be careful not to damage the lip on it, they break off easily

finx

Member +
another few things to watch out for and consider when changing the seal

when you remove the timing sprocket from the crank to access the seal be carefull about keeping eye on the keyway as its easy to loose, but n saying that they are usually seated into the crankshaft snugly and shouldnt pop out just sometimes they do.

when removing the seal with the oil pump in place and using a screwdriver take care not to damage the sealing surface on the crack when trying to get the blade in behind the seal.

and when installing the new seal use some grease (any type) to lube the sealing surface of the seal so that it slips onto the crankshaft nicely. its all too common where people oversee this and install the seal dry (no lube) and the sealing surface catches on the edge of the crank and turns inside out causing a catastrophic leak and you need to pull the whole lot to bits again and re do it all.

good luck with the job mate. should be plain sailing if you stick to the advice the boys here have given you :)

Ryan

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
No gasket needed unless you remove the oil pump.If you remove it you need o-ring and sealant for the pump and sealant for the sump. I suggest not to remove the pump and just use a screwdriver to attack the old seal to death.:p Then with a soft hammer and a cylinder (like a 30 socket tool) hit it gently to slip inside.

Chris

cheers chris.. i had an idea of the work but if im not sure i will ask as always!!

small warning sheldon, the crank pulley is a huge whore to get off, be careful not to damage the lip on it, they break off easily

toolate bud! already took it off like 3 times and the last time was fucked lol! will change that too!

another few things to watch out for and consider when changing the seal

when you remove the timing sprocket from the crank to access the seal be carefull about keeping eye on the keyway as its easy to loose, but n saying that they are usually seated into the crankshaft snugly and shouldnt pop out just sometimes they do.

when removing the seal with the oil pump in place and using a screwdriver take care not to damage the sealing surface on the crack when trying to get the blade in behind the seal.

and when installing the new seal use some grease (any type) to lube the sealing surface of the seal so that it slips onto the crankshaft nicely. its all too common where people oversee this and install the seal dry (no lube) and the sealing surface catches on the edge of the crank and turns inside out causing a catastrophic leak and you need to pull the whole lot to bits again and re do it all.

good luck with the job mate. should be plain sailing if you stick to the advice the boys here have given you :)

Ryan

thanks ryan, im going to ask a friend that already done it maybe he can help me do it!

btw i guess i have to do timing again? i think i need to get a new timing belt then.. done only 4 months ago or so :\

anyone has a pulley for sale in good condition?

thanks

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
also to be sure..

under 15101A there are 2 part numbers 90311-35035 and 90311-35040

do i need both?? or are they different part number but same oil seal?

i think it 2 seals same part number . iv used gt ones on a glanza before with no issues .when u phone Toyota they will identify which one u need be giving them ur chassis number

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i think it 2 seals same part number . iv used gt ones on a glanza before with no issues .when u phone Toyota they will identify which one u need be giving them ur chassis number

cheers, a friend suggested that first i change the oil... and see if it leaks again.

he suggested that cos the oil is a bit old... like 5months (i dont usually leave it that long) and seen a very hot summer plus i was running mega rich for the past 2 weeks and he said some petrol could leak into the sump and oil will be very thin that it will leak..

going to the garage now to check the oil and change that first.

350ep70gr

Member +
cheers, a friend suggested that first i change the oil... and see if it leaks again.

he suggested that cos the oil is a bit old... like 5months (i dont usually leave it that long) and seen a very hot summer plus i was running mega rich for the past 2 weeks and he said some petrol could leak into the sump and oil will be very thin that it will leak..

going to the garage now to check the oil and change that first.

Seal is on the way out if not leaking from somewhere else around. New oil can mask the prob for a small period of time. Seal should withstant even if the oil was grade 5-10 for hydraulics.
If possible sent me a photo of your chiped pulley by e-mail. I may have a gift for you!;)

Chris