CT9 Hybrid?

simonroberts-jones

Fresh Recruit
ct12

ive also got a ct12 thats f****d its been on the car before but didn't last long about a week it was from the far east ive been told that that this turbo is also rubbish.But ive got no turbo at the moment and need a ct9 in good condition realy

sx_turbo

Lifer
ive also got a ct12 thats f****d its been on the car before but didn't last long about a week it was from the far east ive been told that that this turbo is also rubbish.But ive got no turbo at the moment and need a ct9 in good condition realy

oh right i see yes a ct9 hybrid is good. but it is a ct9, so how long it will last, i cant say.

if you did go down that route though u need to make a whole host of other modifications to go with it.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
The inherent problems with the CT9 are the size and the internal w/gate. Due to it being so small after 16psi they can't flow efficiently meaning the air is heated up so much that you loose any performance gain after this, a hybrid unit may be able to reduce this pending specs.

Secondly the internal w/gate is pretty small so you have to be careful with boost creep, a little porting can solve this although your weakening an already weak structure. The last thing you need are hairline cracks which means you will loose boost response on/off the throttle. The internal w/gate diameter is a finite size meaning it has a fixed amount of gas that can flow through it, in basic above a certain level the w/gate can not flow enough exhaust to maintain a consistent amount of energy passing over the turbine wheel hence members get creep. The exhaust gases can only take two routes, either out the w/gate or turbine, if the w/gate can't physically remove these gases then the turbo will continue to boost.

If you don't want major bhp then an external w/gate option for the CT9 is always a good idea although you need to place the w/gate carefully. The next step up form a CT9 is a TD04 conversion but you will need to spend more an engine management although a hyrbid CT9 costs the same as most cheap TD04 kits. Sometimes using the stock CT9 at 15 psi or below is best meaning you can concentrate the rest of your energy on how the car makes that power delivery and transfers it onto the road, BHP is only 1/10 of the story :)

T

Guye

Lifer
The thing is that ive f****d my ct9 and need a new 1 and ive seen the ct9 hybrid and was just wondering what there like?
The hybrid ct9 come in many different trims. The most commonly used by members here seem to be ct9/c920 or ct9/gspec I think this is called. The quality of the hybrid is all down to the manufactuer. There have been reports of failed hybrids that seem to stem from lack of proper balancing/assembly, so if you are buying one make sure the seller offers a warranty. I have a ct9/ct20 hybrid fitted an I am quite happy with it. It's a decent upgrade and is working perfect so far. If you do a search there is alot of info and discussions about the hybrids, and their suppliers. Good luck to you.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
The hybrid ct9 come in many different trims. The most commonly used by members here seem to be ct9/c920 or ct9/gspec I think this is called. The quality of the hybrid is all down to the manufactuer. There have been reports of failed hybrids that seem to stem from lack of proper balancing/assembly, so if you are buying one make sure the seller offers a warranty. I have a ct9/ct20 hybrid fitted an I am quite happy with it. It's a decent upgrade and is working perfect so far. If you do a search there is alot of info and discussions about the hybrids, and their suppliers. Good luck to you.

Spot on the with the manufacturing, don't be sucked in by promises of hybrid units for £300.00, if it's too good to be true it probably is :) We have hyrbid units coming out soon so watch this space..

T

Jay

Admin
Some very good information in this thread. Sound advice.

I'll clean it up as it's worth saving.

simonroberts-jones

Fresh Recruit
ct turbo

Thanks to all.My car has a fmc ,Fuel pressure upgrade ,Apexi boost control, Full straight through ehaust on standard manifold. HKSgreen mushroom filter, fcd it runs 178bhp at 1bar. Sorry if all this sounds abit silly but im learning all about the galnza still. The other option i have is to send off the ct12 and ct9 to a turbo speclist and see if they can salvige a good 1 out of the 2 turbos.Would andbody know what i colud expect back?THANKS

jamesgtturbo

Member +
The inherent problems with the CT9 are the size and the internal w/gate. Due to it being so small after 16psi they can't flow efficiently meaning the air is heated up so much that you loose any performance gain after this, a hybrid unit may be able to reduce this pending specs.

Secondly the internal w/gate is pretty small so you have to be careful with boost creep, a little porting can solve this although your weakening an already weak structure. The last thing you need are hairline cracks which means you will loose boost response on/off the throttle. The internal w/gate diameter is a finite size meaning it has a fixed amount of gas that can flow through it, in basic above a certain level the w/gate can not flow enough exhaust to maintain a consistent amount of energy passing over the turbine wheel hence members get creep. The exhaust gases can only take two routes, either out the w/gate or turbine, if the w/gate can't physically remove these gases then the turbo will continue to boost.

If you don't want major bhp then an external w/gate option for the CT9 is always a good idea although you need to place the w/gate carefully. The next step up form a CT9 is a TD04 conversion but you will need to spend more an engine management although a hyrbid CT9 costs the same as most cheap TD04 kits. Sometimes using the stock CT9 at 15 psi or below is best meaning you can concentrate the rest of your energy on how the car makes that power delivery and transfers it onto the road, BHP is only 1/10 of the story :)

T

excellent information there toby

59bhp

Member +
Thanks to all.My car has a fmc ,Fuel pressure upgrade ,Apexi boost control, Full straight through ehaust on standard manifold. HKSgreen mushroom filter, fcd it runs 178bhp at 1bar. Sorry if all this sounds abit silly but im learning all about the galnza still. The other option i have is to send off the ct12 and ct9 to a turbo speclist and see if they can salvige a good 1 out of the 2 turbos.Would andbody know what i colud expect back?THANKS

id get that manifold changed asap

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yea your next mod should be a free flowing manifold. if your sticking with the ct9 / ct9 hybrid an autobahn manifold is cheap and effictive for wat you need, the quality aint half bad either by the looks of it

TurboDave

Member +
Go stainless if you like spending your weekends removing, welding and re-fitting manifolds.

If you get a quailty hybrid they can be very reliable see some good results. Changing the compressor housings to a CT12 housing etc is not the way forward.