Drove a V Tec

Idrees

Banned
I have finally broken my V Tec virginity. Just drove a 2002 Civic Type-R running an after market manifold, full exhaust and mapped to around 240bhp. Apparently.

Impressed? I'll find out once I've drove a proper V Tec, such as a EF Civic or CRX! :D But for now, I'll stick to the Starlets! :)

gv1.3

Admin
I felt the same when I drove my first ITR... reved high but didnt do anything for me at all. Was expecting a lot more.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Yep same here, i think i have Driven alot of the Fabled great Jap cars at this stage few impressed me as much as i though. The Type R's were one of em.

Idrees

Banned
Yeah I expected more too, especially as it was mildly tuned.

It hit the limiter a lot quicker than I thought though, like my N/A Starlet but obviously way quicker. It wasn't too bad but not the best.

I wouldn't own one, that's for sure. Although I'd take an old Civic/CRX any day!

Chris@CCM

Member +
Yeah I expected more too, especially as it was mildly tuned.

It hit the limiter a lot quicker than I thought though, like my N/A Starlet but obviously way quicker. It wasn't too bad but not the best.

I wouldn't own one, that's for sure. Although I'd take an old Civic/CRX any day!
the newer v tecs imo are far better never like any crx i drove or vti civic tho i do like dc2s .ep3s are a great all round car tho

Idrees

Banned
Hmmm. I've always liked the older ones, maybe because of the sound though. I've sat in a few and they're ace, but driving one is a different thing I guess. The EP3 also felt a bit too big inside, but it's obviously gonna feel like that when I drive a Starlet, and all new cars are fairly big I guess!

Gee

Member +
The new V-TEC's are a lot more refined now.

Lack of engine note, less rev's than before and not as raw when switching cams (V-TEC) or in general.

cole

Member +
i prefer the old ones aswell idrees

i love T's ef9

the hondas might not be that powerfull compaired to starlets once modded but nothing at all can beat the sound as it changes over to vtec !

Rory

Lifer
The new V-TEC's are a lot more refined now.

Lack of engine note, less rev's than before and not as raw when switching cams (V-TEC) or in general.

Agreed on the refined bit.

But the newer ones can handle alot more revs, standard they limit at 9k.
Yes they are not as raw, sound wise, but if they are switching over with a big diffirence, the map isnt right. The switch over should be smooth, for better results.

Must say though, i do prefer the older Vtec's.

GT_Neil

Member +
thats part of the fun with the older ones though, the almost jerk as it switches cam, and the savage noise. The sound makes you feel like your in some raw race car.

Even though your not going that quick lol.

I own a car with a lift engine (vtec similar) personally think its wank apart from the noise. All those revs for nothing turbo anyday of the week for me.

Gee

Member +
Which Type R's from factory rev to 9,000rpm?

I think the S2000 did, but the lowered the rev's when they introduced the 2.2 L.

squeekyduck

Member +
Ah v tec - nothing, nothing, nothing....................there ya go...............wait..................thats it?

Its like a fairground ride, when it gets going it stops!

munday

Member +
Ah v tec, i havnt had the pleasure of driving one :(

Driven a rover VVC though...and to be fair to rover (RIP :p) its a much more advanced system, but as it dosnt have a changover point you can feel i think it often gets overlooked

Idrees

Banned
The one I drove got to 9000 rpm too, but it been remapped so maybe that's why?

The revs shot up but like others have said, didn't move as much as you'd think!

Jay

Admin
vtecstarwarskc5.jpg