Engine knocking... Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEARSON

Member +
Hi,

I haven't had my glanza for long and i've noticed a loud knocking coming from the engine :(. I had this looked at and the lad said the bearing in the alternator has gone but i'm not convinced. Can anyone help please. Thanks.

PEARSON

Member +
I forgot to mention, the knocking sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the engine. sometimes its loud and other times its not so bad. It;s got me well confused??????? :s

aidan

Member +
doesn really sound like an alternator but just whip off the belt and see if the noise goes away dont leave it run for long tho

PEARSON

Member +
I'll give that a go when i finish work. When the lad checked it he told me to keep starting the engine then switching off. Done that a few times when he was checking it and thats how he came to the conclusion that it was the alternator at fault. I'm thinking of buying a bearing kit just incase and change all the belts, seals ect ect... pretty much a full service and tidy up just to be on the safe side :)

PEARSON

Member +
I hope it is jut the alternator. I want to service the car regardless because i dont know when it was last done but i hope the bottom end isn't on its way out i'll be pretty gutted to say the least. will i just have to change bearings and crank if it goes ( i dont reall know much lol)?????

Danza V :D

Member +
I think id X2 it with aiden, Just a process of elimination :(.. Just take the belt off and see if it stops and if it dont then it is most probably something more expensive :(

123*stumpy

Untrusted Seller
and if you do service it funnel the old oil throught a pair of tights or something like it to act as a filter, look for metal shavings, if there present...its not a good sign......

poke

Member +
itll mean you need a new block mate,or if the damage isnt to bad maybe just new bearings if it didnt damage the crank,open the sump plug and check the oil if you see bits of metal its bearings

PEARSON

Member +
itll mean you need a new block mate,or if the damage isnt to bad maybe just new bearings if it didnt damage the crank,open the sump plug and check the oil if you see bits of metal its bearings

so just the bearings will need doing if thats the case (i hope anyway)?? Providing its not the alternator which i hope it's just that.

Kyle_R

Member +
if it was altenator it would be like a clunky rattle sort of noise!!(had that on a old metro gti) if its knocking my guess is bottom end! did it develop after a spirited drive? or just gradually got worse over time? :/

PEARSON

Member +
if it was altenator it would be like a clunky rattle sort of noise!!(had that on a old metro gti) if its knocking my guess is bottom end! did it develop after a spirited drive? or just gradually got worse over time? :/

It was like that when i got the car. My own fault to be honest i swapped a 55 plate leon fr for it. I wasn't impressed with the lad i got it off, when i checked it over the passenger hub wasn't even bolted on so i could have been killed. It's hard to explain what the noise is like its more like a really loud tapping noise, the car still drives fine and starts fine. The only other thinh i noticed was when i start the car it makes a sqeaking noise like a belt slipping. I'm lost with it.

PEARSON

Member +
I got the car from a lad in Motherwell by the name of rab (robert i think). It's a silvery blue N reg ep91 with a black bonnet if anybody knows of this car??

Kyle_R

Member +
It was like that when i got the car. My own fault to be honest i swapped a 55 plate leon fr for it. I wasn't impressed with the lad i got it off, when i checked it over the passenger hub wasn't even bolted on so i could have been killed. It's hard to explain what the noise is like its more like a really loud tapping noise, the car still drives fine and starts fine. The only other thinh i noticed was when i start the car it makes a sqeaking noise like a belt slipping. I'm lost with it.
:O really? well atleast nothing serious happened on the way back! the slipping belt could be related to the altenator(dry belt going hard-badly adjusted) if you can get a mate and record a vid of it starting up and knocking/squeling belt with a varied rev range and stick it on youtube/photobucket and link it on here it will help to diagnose what it could possibly be :) if your not to familiar with putting vids up ect email me the vid aslong as its a small vid approx a min in length i can put it up for you to help you out! :) best of luck and hope its just a simple fix for you buddy

corofin12345

Member +
get up a video man of the knocking and we will tell you then, its probably the big end going, bottom end will need a rebuild if so and crank regrind if its scored badly, the squeaking noise could be a cracked mani or blow on the gaskets.. this sounds like a belt slipping

Last edited:

PEARSON

Member +
:O really? well atleast nothing serious happened on the way back! the slipping belt could be related to the altenator(dry belt going hard-badly adjusted) if you can get a mate and record a vid of it starting up and knocking/squeling belt with a varied rev range and stick it on youtube/photobucket and link it on here it will help to diagnose what it could possibly be :) if your not to familiar with putting vids up ect email me the vid aslong as its a small vid approx a min in length i can put it up for you to help you out! :) best of luck and hope its just a simple fix for you buddy

Yeh that will be spot on if you can do that mate, i appreciate it cheers :). can you PM you email address and i'll do it tonight??

Kyle_R

Member +
get up a video man of the knocking and we will tell you then, its probably the big end going, bottom end will need a rebuild if so and crank regrind if its scored badly, the squeaking noise is a cracked mani or blow on the gaskets.. this sounds like a belt slipping

X2 you really need to put a vid up so we can hear it for better analysis

is there any other symptoms gets worse under load? and sounds rough? is it deffo coming from bottom end? tapping/rattling/knocking noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.