Gearbox Oil

peen

Lifer
Well I have spent far too long trying to decide what gearbox oil to put in my GT (Non LSD). I know it has to be 75w90 but there are so many companies that sell all their different brands, etc!

The old site had a service schedule which recommended Castrol Syntrax 75w90 which appears to be a universal oil for both API GL3, GL4 and GL5 specifications (whatever that means)! :)

What brand do you guys use? I have read threads that say Redline is good and equally as many threads that say it is bad!

I have also been recommended Silkolene Silktran Syn 5 or Motul MOTYLGEAR which are both rated at GL4 and GL5 and are 75w90.

Money isn't really an issue - I just want the best. But I guess it is going to be down to personal opinion - which is why I am wondering what you people use! Thanks :)

Jay

Admin
My trackcar is running ATF in it at the minute (all I had lying about at the time of building) but Redline will be my first port of call. Heard good reports about them from many sources.

peen

Lifer
I forgot to add, with regards to the Redline oils, which would be recommended?

75W90 NS - GL-5
MT-90 - GL-4

Both are 75w90 oils so I'm a bit confused although on the Redline web site it says the MT-90 is popular for Toyota's, and I have also read on the Demon Tweeks web site that the MT-90 is the one to use on synchromesh gearboxes (which I believe the GT uses)?

I'm leaning towards the MT-90 at the moment but again any input appreciated. :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
gl-5 is fully synthetic gl-4 is semi synthetic/ mineral.

i used valvoline syn power 75w90 fully synthetic in mine.

to be fair though as long as its 75w90 and a branded oil all will be fine.

weeJohn

Lifer
Toyota recommend 75W 90 hypoid semi sinthetic oil.
I have tried other oils and found this the best.
I have not tried Redline or Royal purple so cant compare to that.
Its important to get the right oil or the synchros will wear, or shifting will be harder.

peen

Lifer
I'm going with the MT-90 as well based on a reply I had from Redline, Japan:

"For Starlet, the manufacturer's standard gear oil is GL-3 75W90 so we would
recommend MT-90. If your gear box is equipped with LSD, then we would
recommend you to use 75W90 which is GL-5."

ryu

Fresh Recruit
Hello guys.

I know this topic hasn't been used for a while now, but I have a relevant question...

I got for my Glanza V the Texaco Multigear S synthetic gearbox oil.

I don't know much on this this subject, it writes on it:

SAE 75W-90
API: GL-5/GL-4/MT-1, ZF TE-ML-02B/05B/07A/08/12B/1GF/16F/17B
MAN Standard M 3343 Type SL

"Fully synthetic gear oil especially developed to cover Japanese and European OEM's needs for API GL-4 & GL-5."​

I had a hard time locating a 75W-90 oil over here (Cyprus), all I could find was simple 80W-90.

Anyway, the critical question is... will I be ok with this gear oil?

Thanks

potge

Fresh Recruit
GL4 and GL 5 have mostly to do with protection on some metal parts,synchros etc (probably bronze ones but i cant remember now which exaclty) within the gearbox. GL4 provides better protection over GL5 . So best for our gearboxes is GL4 . Also big brands redline etc are all 100% fully synthetic gl4 or gl5. So as stated before and from Redline MT-90 is the most suitable from redlines oil selection, but any 75-90 gl4 is also suitable