Generating more downforce

GTdan

In The Closet
Ill be needing to generate some more downforce on the starlet over the coming months and winter for next year :)

Ive had a look about and cant find much about increasing the downforce on the starlet, with regards to diffusers, spoilers, canards etc.

Is there any knocking about or will i have to get some custom made.

sx_turbo

Lifer
custom made mate.

most things that are designed for down force need to be cleverly thought out, and ideally using computer simulation to see if it will actually work.

it's not as easy as just bolting stuff on mate

GTdan

In The Closet
custom made mate.

most things that are designed for down force need to be cleverly thought out, and ideally using computer simulation to see if it will actually work.

it's not as easy as just bolting stuff on mate

thats what i thought but i know with some cars, evos and scoobys theres already someone has already done to R&D and product is available off the shelf.

sx_turbo

Lifer
yeah because there so much more popular.

people who own starlets dont want to pay the money for items like that, from experiance people who own evo's etc etc dont mind splashing the cash, but people with starlets seem a bit tight fisted.

not that it's a problem being tight, just means theres less chance of items being brought out.

i know toby had this trouble,

also the fan base of starlets is a lot smaller, even in japan there was feck all about for starlets in comparison to the like of evo's, scooby's etc etc.

maybe theres a gap in the market dan ;) so get designing ;) lol

another tip is to maybe have a flick through the hyper revs magazine and see what starlets are running over there

GTdan

In The Closet

people who own starlets dont want to pay the money for items like that, from experiance people who own evo's etc etc dont mind splashing the cash, but people with starlets seem a bit tight fisted.

not that it's a problem being tight, just means theres less chance of items being brought out.

i know toby had this trouble,

also the fan base of starlets is a lot smaller, even in japan there was feck all about for starlets in comparison to the like of evo's, scooby's etc etc.

maybe theres a gap in the market dan ;) so get designing ;) lol

another tip is to maybe have a flick through the hyper revs magazine and see what starlets are running over there

cheers ricky - will get looking - we will see what i can come up with and take it from there - and if something does get designed and it works, then ill contact traders regarding taking it forward.

turboflow

Member +

I disagree with that statement i would hapily spend wat ever it cost to get my starlet to where i want it, i have just spent 2.5k on engine, another 1200 in a couple of months on respray, 500 on wheels, 400 on tyres, 1000 on my interior designs later, i think there a quite a few people with starlets that will splash out, i know i do

sx_turbo

Lifer
i want first refusal if you do :p

most downforce will be made via the front bumper and rear wing.

sideskirts can also be designed to aid this,

and a rear diffuser, but for this to work you will need to make under the car flat, and then get it all flow tested etc etc

sx_turbo

Lifer
I disagree with that statement i would hapily spend wat ever it cost to get my starlet to where i want it, i have just spent 2.5k on engine, another 1200 in a couple of months on respray, 500 on wheels, 400 on tyres, 1000 on my interior designs later, i think there a quite a few people with starlets that will splash out, i know i do

i didnt say everyone mate, i said the majority.

you wouldnt believe the ammount of pm's i get asking if i can do them a "special deal" on the prices i have already posted on the site.

or ask me to price a load of parts for them, that are a good £50 + cheaper than other places and then told me that they thought it was expensive.

i'm not moaning, i'm just stating that people with starlets tend not to have lots of money to splash, if they did they would own the bigger more powerful cars.

there is some hardcore starleteers on here that dont mind spending money on there starlet.

i've spent in the region of 14k on my starlet and it doesnt look like it,

GTdan

In The Closet
i want first refusal if you do :p

most downforce will be made via the front bumper and rear wing.

sideskirts can also be designed to aid this,

and a rear diffuser, but for this to work you will need to make under the car flat, and then get it all flow tested etc etc

well im looking into some canards and a front diffuser and undertray to get the front part flat - and take it from there.

Ive found some template canards and i think jays new gt has canards on his so if i can get some pics of that hopefully get a template made up out of some wood, and see how it goes before splashing the cash on some carbon fibre.

Jay

Admin
Rippers..

To quote a famous gold-wearing muscleman of the mid 80's:

"Pity the fool who annoys me on the road as that sucka is gonna feel my blades in his tyres..." :haha:

Options:

1) Get some cardboard and stickyback plastic then get creative.

mainImage.jpg

2) Commission someone like EPS to copy these babies on my new wagon.

rrfeb2009003resize.jpg

3) Spend several thousand in research and development whilst swanning lab to lab.

doc_brown-full.jpg

4) Quickly rightclick and save these awesome JDM blueprints I 'stumbled' upon entirely by accident.

cannardmeasurementsn.jpg

This message will self destruct in 5...4...3...

Jay

59bhp

Member +
to be honest dan if it was an f1 car then i would suggest all of the computer aided fluid flow analysis but if you follow basic aerodynamic theory then you wont be that far off. Its a bit hamfisted to start bolting things on and hoping it works but ive seen the state of some of your work and i dont think it will bother you that much.

Jay

Admin
to be honest dan if it was an f1 car then i would suggest all of the computer aided fluid flow analysis but if you follow basic aerodynamic theory then you wont be that far off. Its a bit hamfisted to start bolting things on and hoping it works but ive seen the state of some of your work and i dont think it will bother you that much.

To be fair you have a point.

For example the 'boffins' at VW Racing fancied some downforce for their new racing Sciroccos. They just bolted whatever they thought looked okay without airflow analysis or aerodynamic discussion and hey presto - it worked helping the cars to maiden voyage wins at the Ring..

GTdan

In The Closet
jay you strike again :) thank you!!!!

thanks for your input mike.....im turning a corner in life now, no more short cuts :)

ill just have to bolt things on and see what its like driving.

59bhp

Member +
To be fair you have a point.

For example the 'boffins' at VW Racing fancied some downforce for their new racing Sciroccos. They just bolted whatever they thought looked okay without airflow analysis or aerodynamic discussion and hey presto - it worked helping the cars to maiden voyage wins at the Ring..

lol yeah its funny how many experts just think "yeah itll be reet" lol once you know the basics you can make reasonable assumptions as to what will work.

Christ assumption is half of what engineering is lol

Rory

Lifer
Not really.
Assuption is the mother of all fuck ups :D

Christ assumption is half of what engineering is lol

Personally i wouldnt bother with cannards, i doubt there is enough area on them to do anything for aero down force.
Look at diffuser's for the rear, and big splitters at the front. ;)

GTdan

In The Closet
N

Personally i wouldnt bother with cannards, i doubt there is enough area on them to do anything for aero down force.

thats what plan is - big splitter and canards and rear diffuser - lets just hope i dont right the starlet off!

59bhp

Member +
Not really.
Assuption is the mother of all fuck ups :D

not on there own but in conjuction with other things you have suggested, amongst vortex generators (deffusers) to reduce drag, big gay wings, underbody plating etc

you would be surprised how much assumption goes into things like this, especially when it comes to computer software.

Rory

Lifer
Still cant see canards doing anything apart from creating drag (On a road car)

Pointless having big gay wings on a FWD car.
Why take the weight from the front of the car.

Granted the underside of the car being flat will give gains, if used in conjunction with diffusers etc.

Assumption is neither here nor there. Its either right or wrong. :p