Grooved Disks = Fail

Monkfish

Member +
What say you? Grooved disks are poop? Well, yes. Nothing to do with the fact my 3G's have died, but I've been looking into upgrading and I'm going for flat rotors rather than grooved/drilled.

He's mad, surely?!

No, actually, for a change :p. Have a read of this, see what you think... >>> Teh Linkage

Discuss :)

Neal

Member +
I agree really no need for the fancy grooved shit.

I would look at upgrading your setup completely though if you plan any major power increase.

Monkfish

Member +
I agree really no need for the fancy grooved shit.

I would look at upgrading your setup completely though if you plan any major power increase.

Already in the pipeline my friend ;). I don't see the point in paying through the arsehole for large brakes when some custom faffage will see some unwanted stock disks from a larger car fit and do just as good a job for 1/4 of the price :p

monka

Member +
so whats with every one saying that they stop quicker with the 3g grooved discs?

or is this just the placebo?

Monkfish

Member +
so whats with every one saying that they stop quicker with the 3g grooved discs?

or is this just the placebo?

The thing is, when people upgrade the disks to 3G, they usually do the pads, lines and fluid at the same time (as I did), so the braking is better, but it's more to do with the pads lines and fluid rather than the disks. I can bet stock disks would be better. More surface area.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
He's not really slating slotted discs in that thread though more the cross drilled one's, which most people already know can crack easily.

Slotted ones can help to shave the pad surface and clean it and also whilst doing this will obviously be generating more friction. I reckon its marginal but they will give more bite than flat discs.

Its a good oppurtunity for you to find out though monk, since you'll be taking off your 3G's you may aswell try some flat stock discs and see if there's any difference.;)

Dan3SGTE

Member +
hmmm that is an interesting read....

i have a set of willwood drilled/grooved discs going on, i hope i dont have problems...

sx_turbo

Lifer
hmmm that is an interesting read....

i have a set of willwood drilled/grooved discs going on, i hope i dont have problems...

to be honest i havnt really heard of discs cracking except them 3g discs. it's said there made from brembo castings, but i'm not sure as the qaulity seems sceptical.

on another note if drilled/ grooved discs are so bad why do car manufactures put them on some vehicles as standard?

i see a bmw m3 the other day with drilled discs all round

Wild

Member +
Read the thread Mike posted dude... says in there that even 'rari and porsche said it was for looks.

Nwimie

Member +
the holes and groves increase the heat displacement tho keep the pads and discs cooler preventing them getting to hot causing brake fade. imo they are better than stock flat discs and ive ran with both.

just my 2p

thefalls

Member +
As the guy is that forum states.
"Do your homework. Even Porsche and Ferrari will admit that the cross drilled rotors they use are for looks. So if you are one of those kids who thinks the little holes look cool, get a name brand drilled rotor like Ferrari does. The REASON Ferrari's 'holed' rotors are alright to use is because they are CAST with the holes in them, so they are not actually drilled into cast iron rotors. Cheap drilled rotors are not safe, and even the good ones are not necessary. Why do Ferrari do it? People THINK they want it, and it sells. If you don't believe me, go into the business world. You will learn that pretty soon, you can sell utter shit if people THINK its better."

Timmy

Member +
when a car comes std with drilled of groved disks that is how they have been cast therefore keep their strength. 3g take standard discs and machine them.
I can't agree more about increasing the rotor size the up grades are more about increasing progression and pedal feel.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
To add further to this, the guy on that forum says about F1 cars not using drilled or slotted rotors, fair enough I don't disagree, but rally cars and I mean modern wrc cars run with slotted discs.;)

FeNder

Member +
i guess at the end of the day if you go for Ap racing , brembo or wilwood kits thats aight , i reckon those wont be cracking !