I need some help folks.....

Somhairle

Lifer
As you all know, my last engine ran lean, causing engine failure.

That was sorted by installing a new engine.

Today I thought I'd check up on how the new engines doing.

So i thought first i'd run a diagnostic check.

I'm bridging the correct terminals, but upon switching the ignition on, im getting no ecu light at all..

The ECU light illuminates when starting the car normally, so i know it's not a blown bulb. It just wont run diagnostics at all.

Any Ideas?

Secondly, I removed my spark plugs, to find they are white again. Indicating the engine is running lean.

I have removed the SAFC and returned to standard fuelling.

I'm running the same setup as before-

Hybrid g-spec and co, and according to jay's innovative wideband my fuelling has always been spot on, till the SAFC fucked up and she blew.

Now i've returned to standard, I'm assuming the fuelling should run as before..

However this isn't the case, and I could really do without blowing anohter engine.

I'm running 10psi.

Many thanks.

Som

Johnny_C

Lifer
well you could change the ecu for another,maybe the safc fried somthing?hence why your engine management light isnt workin.

Somhairle

Lifer
I've just finished swapping anohter ECU over and the problem still exists!

The engine management light is working,

It comes on as per normal with the ignition.

The car is running perfect, everything works 100%.

Just when in diagnostic mode, there's no engine light

cheers for your input tho!

Johnny_C

Lifer
now thats an odd one.
fuses are all ok?
your fuel pump is workin 100%?
standard regulator?
what mods are on it at the minute?

Somhairle

Lifer
Checked every fuse,

Walbro pump is working 100%.

Standard reg - Fuelling checked with wideband - a little rich (on the last engine)

My car has always ran rich.

The safc has been properly disconnected and the appropiate wire's reconnected.

It's running:

Mani
Dowpipe
actuator (set at 10psi)
g spec
fmic
walbro pump

sx_turbo

Lifer
even though your not running much boost your car will still be running lean as the g-spec is pumping a bigger volume of air in than a standard, turbo.

your eco light though i'm unsure about.

Somhairle

Lifer
The toyota mechanics in belfast just about know what a GT is, nevermind diagnosing a problem on one....

I've some thing else i want to try, as i noticed 2 earths were in the wrong positions....

and we all know how toyota love to use switching earths :homer:

Ill post what i find in a minute once i've swapped them over!

Johnny_C

Lifer
The toyota mechanics in belfast just about know what a GT is, nevermind diagnosing a problem on one....

I've some thing else i want to try, as i noticed 2 earths were in the wrong positions....

and we all know how toyota love to use switching earths :homer:

Ill post what i find in a minute once i've swapped them over!
id give the computer a try aswell lad.

Somhairle

Lifer
It would appear if the main battery earth is on the gear box, and the gearbox earth isnt fully connected to the chasis.....

The car wont go into diagnostic mode......

I swapped the earths and it went into diagnostic straight away....

No fault codes.....

Johnny_C

Lifer
It would appear if the main battery earth is on the gear box, and the gearbox earth isnt fully connected to the chasis.....

No fault codes.....
well thats somthing.

Jay

Admin

No fault codes.....

That might explain the trackstar's diagnostic not working then. Could have sworn I checked the earths though..

Anyhow, bring her down and we'll check that fuelling asap. There's little point in assessing it from the state of the plugs to be honest. If you are taking it easy the car is generally in a lean condition. It's safer and more accurate to use the wideband.

henners

Member +
Put the car completly back to standard and start again part by part. Or remove part by part untill the problem disapears

Somhairle

Lifer
Put the car completly back to standard and start again part by part. Or remove part by part untill the problem disapears

mate it's all done properly.....

Im sure between, myself, trevor, jay, and gerard we have a slight idea about modifying starlets.....

I'll get a nip down at the weekend jayman, what day you free?

henners

Member +
well thats what ide do then once you have sourced the problem correctly you can eliminate it completly it could be anythink from your feul pump weakening at higher revs down to a relay partially loosing its voltage.

Get a multimeter on the fuel pump and get someone to watch it as you blast the car up the road checking for anysigns of voltage drop or voltage spike.

Check all connections for corrosion. check grounds/earths, check for broken wires you have just got to be patient.

Have you got a lamda sensor still in the decat becaue thats probally fooked and the fact that you have no cat its causing the car to go into limp home mode.

Just check everythink

Somhairle

Lifer
Will do mate....

I'll solve this puzzle yet.....

Might just fit the sard fpr kit i have and up the fuelling with jays wideband.....

we'll see how it goes!

Ted

Member +
hi mate. after my fuel starvation issue on track i took it easy to see what the plugs looked like for the next wee while in case sometuing was blocked and they were pretty white. however the car just runs lean at part throttle and jays wideband showed it turns rich when you cane it.

Somhairle

Lifer
Hey ted!

how white were your plugs mate?

Did they ever turn brown again?

I think the wideband is the only way to tell, i dont want to smoke this engine too....

lol!