I want more response..but a bit more power would be nice too!

Gee

Member +
I want some more response and a little bit more power would be nice too and I have a problem.

I have looked into a hybrid TD04L and the company have advised me that an earlier spool time is not possible.

So, in order to get some extra low down torque/response without sacrificing topend is the only option to go go 5E? I really can not be arsed with the cost and hassle of it all, but coming against other cars with bigger displacements even with their added weight, I still think there is no replacement for displacement.

So what are the options?

Port and polish?
Uprated cams?

Here is what was said about the hybrid:

We can upgrade the TD04 turbo using a 19T compressor wheel however this would retain a plain bearing system. This turbo would achieve 300bhp however it won’t affect the response the turbo in a positive way, in fact it is likely to make it even laggier.

When asked about ball bearing:

Not for TD04 I’m afraid, the ball bearing conversions can only be done to TD05 turbos.

sx_turbo

Lifer
so you want response and power?

normally if you gain power you lose response, and vice versa.

cams might help ya but i'm not 100% sure.

i dont think theres really an alternative route

350ep70gr

Member +
if you port and polish your head and with uprated cams you will see gains on power because your engine will breath better but i dont think that you will spool your turbo faster. So gains will be noticed at higher rpms. Maybe sorter manifold runners and heat rap will help you a bit.You can also go a little bit leaner and rise exhaust gas temperature but it is not very safe doing this for a long period of time. Definately you will notice some responce if you use air/water cooler because of the sorter piping route.

Gee

Member +
Hi guys.

Yeah, usually with more power/topend also means more lag, this is my problem.

This is why I looked into the hybrid because someone on here advised they had a ball bearing TD04l hybrid but as above apparently it can not be done.

If I got a port and polish will it help with spool?

Dj ep

Member +
i have a few mate's in the subaru world and they have had tdo4 bb before so im sure it can be done

starbogt

Member +
i have a few mate's in the subaru world and they have had tdo4 bb before so im sure it can be done

You sure they weren't VF series? How about looking at a port and polish and also a new throttle body or bigger butterfly ?

munday

Member +
Yes port and polish should help a little with spooling and response, you can run less boost for the same power too. If you have a spare head take a look at it and see if there are any flashings from casting or any areas you think it could be improved. I dont know how good the 4e heads are as standard.

sx_turbo

Lifer
Yes port and polish should help a little with spooling and response, you can run less boost for the same power too. If you have a spare head take a look at it and see if there are any flashings from casting or any areas you think it could be improved. I dont know how good the 4e heads are as standard.

4e heads are really really good as standard, the inlet side there isnt much that can be done, it the exhaust side that is more restrictive, but even that isnt by loads considering.