Installing LSD

ChrisW

Lifer
Right ok, well Im getting someone to fit an LSD into my box shortly so I just wanted to double check I had everything for the job. Is this list everything I need to do the job...

-LSD unit itself
-2 x diff bearings
-New fifth gear
-Oil seal kit for Gbox

Are all these neccessary and is there anything else??? Thanks in advance! :)

Ricky, new bearings should be fitted as a matter of course. You would be well pissed to find they need replacing in a few thousand miles. Fifth gear does not need to be renewed unless there is a problem with it :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
chris you got the part numbers for the bearings?

i see toby posted them at one point but i cant find the post now

Rory

Lifer
I was told it is hard to fit an LSD without damaging 5th gear, and hence it need replacing???

Thats not right.
Why would you have to go near any gears to get to the diff? :confused:

Ive had no problems when installing any diff.

**Parts needed**
Diff bearings.
Seal kit inc shaft seals

Plus anything that needs changed while its apart, ie Syncros bearings and gears.

Damo

Fresh Recruit
Good thread, i will have to come back to it when i get my LSD.

Is it just pot luck as to how agressive an LSD you get or is it down to the manufacturer had one in my ae111 and it was pig of a thing

TRD seems to be the only one i can source for my car at the min

ChrisW

Lifer
Good thread, i will have to come back to it when i get my LSD.

Is it just pot luck as to how agressive an LSD you get or is it down to the manufacturer had one in my ae111 and it was pig of a thing

TRD seems to be the only one i can source for my car at the min

Its not pot luck mate, its down to the manufacturer. For example I believe people call the cusco one's "ditch-finders" due to their rather aggressive bite lol! Whereas the Quaife isnt so bad Ive been told, which I presume is why it is so popular :)

Damo

Fresh Recruit
Its not pot luck mate, its down to the manufacturer. For example I believe people call the cusco one's "ditch-finders" due to their rather aggressive bite lol! Whereas the Quaife isnt so bad Ive been told, which I presume is why it is so popular :)

Thats what i assumed, i guess i better just hope the TRD one isn too agressive :drive:

munday

Member +
Ok thanks. I was just told that the 5th gear is often damaged when the diff is replaced :confused:

Maybe they just meant that 5th gear is often damaged full stop, i hear (and have experienced :p) that they wear quite badly on these gearboxes

sx_turbo

Lifer
90368-38004

chris this is the other number you need, toby unfortunately was wrong, i have just spoke to toyota and they changed in 1992.

the part number above is for 1992 onwards