My lack in boost pressure?

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Right as some of you may know my car has gone funny......

there is now NO blue smoke what so ever? so i jack my car up and take my downpipe off and the intake to the turbo to check both compressor wheels.... they are fine and spinning without no noise.... there is no shaft play and both turning the same direction....??

The engine sounds completely fine and drives completely fine just no building any boost pressure what so ever? Soo i check for leaks, none! i took my pipe off the inlet mani and coved the pipe up coming off the turbo leading to the intercooler.... there was loads of pressure on the other end and no noise of leaking air AT ALL.....

only thing concerns me is that there was initially a bit of blue smoke at the time of this sudden lose in boost pressure? i was thinking the actuator but its all there and fine, and also if there was a problem with that surely the boost would INCREASE not DECREASE??

anyone have an idea in what the hell has happened??? im puzzled to fuck :confused:

thanks

Damage

Member +
Sounds like an intercooler piping loose to me mate. If this happened all of a sudden its probably this.

C

CaL

Sounds like an intercooler piping loose to me mate. If this happened all of a sudden its probably this.
but theres no leaks??dan what intercooler do you have??the ic it self couldnt have popped could it?rare that would happen though :confused:

Timmy

Member +
if it is driving fine you sure your boost gauge isn't just fooked. Otherwise it has to be a leak or the wastegate is wide open. Thats your only possibilities. You could just take all intercooler piping off and refit. Could a stone have gone through your intercooler? That probably wouldn't make much noise if its a large hole.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
if it is driving fine you sure your boost gauge isn't just fooked. Otherwise it has to be a leak or the wastegate is wide open. Thats your only possibilities. You could just take all intercooler piping off and refit. Could a stone have gone through your intercooler? That probably wouldn't make much noise if its a large hole.

no i meant its driving properly with no boost, i.e its f*****g slow mate... it really isnt boosting at all... probably running about 100bhp, no more then that.....

there are no holes in the intercooler by the looks of it. yeah could be a wategate problem, thats a good point.....

but what would be the blue smoke if that was the case?

Dan3SGTE

Member +

yeah as cal said mate, there was full pressure on the other end of the pipeing system? and all pipes seem to be completely fine...

Jay

Admin
Compression test done yet?

Overboosting the engine usually results in piston/ringland damage.

starbogt

Member +
You not thought of talking to the guy who helped you build it up? It sounds like the wasgate stuck open or something wrong with the control side have you checked the pressure to the actuator for leaks etc or if it has any pressure at all! I'd be tempted to give rogue motorsport a call they know everything to do with that engine mate they might be able to tell you over the phone!

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/static/home.aspx

Good luck Dan.

Andrew

Jay

Admin
From what you posted about your exhaust upgrade I take it that the extra flow resulted in more boost (common result from an exhaust upgrade).

The engine was not mapped for the increased level of boost and therefore detonated incorrectly. This would have damaged the internals of the engine.

That or you are just missing a leak from an intercooler pipe. (fingers crossed)

GTti

Member +
If the actuator was stuck open then it would struggle to build boost - check the resistance of it. Do a compression test as Jay said.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
thanks guys....

if it is the wastgate stuck open what do i do about this? or should i say how do i deal with it........? as its an internal wastegate obviously......

Hopefully i havent blown anuthing in the engine, but it runs fine with no blue smoke, surely engine damage would result in loss in drivability and smoke?

GTti

Member +
Just use some mole grips and clamp them on the actuator rod, move it to the right (It should spring back). If it's fucked then you'll just be able to move the rod with your hands!

Ring damage would usually result in blue smoke as oil will be coming up the cylinder walls and be combusted (It won't be thick and white so harder to spot). You would also get alot of blow by, if it was damaged that badly you'd hear it.

Last edited:

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
What sort of boost did you hit before you lost all boost? i'd be agreeing with jay on this, ringland failure is known on that engine buddy.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Just use some mole grips and clamp them on the actuator rod, move it to the right (It should spring back). If it's fucked then you'll just be able to move the rod with your hands!

Ring damage would usually result in blue smoke as oil will be coming up the cylinder walls and be combusted (It won't be thick and white so harder to spot). You would also get alot of blow by, if it was damaged that badly you'd hear it.

GTti... is the rod your on about the one on the back of the actuator on its own? i could take some pics for better guidance....
Sorry, i am still learning on actually working on my own engine and getting familiar with everything.......

And thats what i was thinking mate, there is normally blue smoke pouring out, when there was only a little bit initially then its went away now no more blue smoke...... and the engine also sounds fine.....

PS.. if it was internal damage though also would it cause there not to be any boost pressure whats so ever but drive fine?

Dan3SGTE

Member +
i think it was 1.2 bar wasnt it dan?

It was hitting 1.25BAR in 4th gear as the rest of the gears weren't that stabble so only hitting 1BAR... but thats when it went, it was in 3rd gear flooring it when it stopped working.......

Dan3SGTE

Member +
What sort of boost did you hit before you lost all boost? i'd be agreeing with jay on this, ringland failure is known on that engine buddy.

so yeah to answer your question mate i hit only 1BAR before all boost was lost as i was in 3rd gear..... strange that aie?

GTti

Member +
2609_4lo.jpg

This mate.

I hate to say it, it wouldn't cause all boost to be lost though, it'd be like a big leak and take forever to build up a worthy amount of boost.

Last edited: