Oil catch can pics (engine bay)

D1v

Member +
Hi iam looking for some pics ov Oil catch cans tht have been installed in engine bays could ny1 help?

Dane_Bristol

Member +
IMG_1315.jpg

D1v

Member +
thnx sps rep added , nd 2 u cheeky **** i posted a thread as i cudnt find ny decent ones ok is tht not allowed?

monka

Member +
the question has been asked a good few times in the last few months, so cant have looked far.

tip for the future mate, if you are looking for pics of stuff

when ya search for something click on the part that makes it search in a specific section, and select members gallery, then search for what ya want. that way ya cut out all the questions that have been asked, and go straight to the peoples cars that have them.

fussman

Member +
not sure if u guys realise it but there is a 4 letter word limit. how do u go about searching for 'oil catch can'?????? u can only u 'catch' from that. ive had lots of problems trying to search for things like these. i believe thats why u see alot of questions being reposted over and over.

fastglanza

Member +
whats the purpose of these things? i just leave a filter on mine and it never gets oily or dirty...

IMO the pcv should be the one going to the can but most pics i see there connected as stock

MWP

Member +
IMO the pcv should be the one going to the can but most pics i see there connected as stock

Exactly... all three photos above are setup incorrectly.
Wow, way to go guys! :shoot:

The catch can is meant to stop oil from being sucked into the intake manifold.
You have all installed it on the vent line... the wrong one.

The catch can should be non-vented (no wanky air filter on top) connected between the PCV valve and the inlet manifold.

MWP

Member +
Nope, thats also wrong :(
It still needs to be hooked up to the inlet manifold to pull clean air into the crankcase.

Not pulling clean air into the crankcase = oil contamination from blowby gasses, and engine corrosion from condensation in the crankcase.

Last edited:

Rory

Lifer
I would rather not have any chance of oil residue getting back into the inlet tract.

I dont worry about the oil contamination, possibly involved, as it gets changed every 2.5k to 3k miles.
Still cant understand how pulling fresh air in would help, as there will be blowby gasses regardless if there is fresh air or not?

As for corrosion, if the car gets used on a daily basis, then the condensation wont have time to form.
Also regular oil changes help, "if" condensation has built up and contaminated the oil (water/oil mix)

**Edit - From what you are saying, whats the point in running a catch can then? If you are still breathing into the inlet tract?**

Last edited:

MWP

Member +
I would rather not have any chance of oil residue getting back into the inlet tract.

I dont worry about the oil contamination, possibly involved, as it gets changed every 2.5k to 3k miles.
Still cant understand how pulling fresh air in would help, as there will be blowby gasses regardless if there is fresh air or not?

As for corrosion, if the car gets used on a daily basis, then the condensation wont have time to form.
Also regular oil changes help, "if" condensation has built up and contaminated the oil (water/oil mix)

**Edit - From what you are saying, whats the point in running a catch can then? If you are still breathing into the inlet tract?**

95% of the time a street car is not on boost.
During this time the PCV system (if setup correctly) should be sucking crankcase gasses out and sucking clean air in.

When this happens, the crankcase gas is being sucked out of the PCV valve into the inlet manifold, and the clean air is being pulled in via the other vent line (between the 1&2 spark plugs).

To stop oil getting into the inlet manifold you want a sealed (no air-filter!!!) catch can on the PCV->inlet manfold line.

You are correct, during boost the PCV valve will close and blowby will go out the vent line into the inlet (before turbo) instead which isnt desirable... but this in reality doesnt happen often.
You can fix this by putting a small air filter on the vent between the 1&2 spark plugs instead of running it back to the inlet.

I hope that makes sense...

MWP

Member +
DO IT LIKE THIS:

cimg1785copyxh2.jpg

Remember... no filter on the catch can.
In the above photo you could move the filter to the 1&2 spark plug vent... though a larger filter there would be a good idea if your running high power.
Check the inside of the 1&2 spark plug vent often as itll get oiled up over time.

Last edited: