*** Oil Filter Change - Please Help!!!***

ChrisW

Lifer
I have followed Jay's tutorial on this and have just drained my oil from the sump but am now stuck on the filter change.

I appear to have something which I can only think of being a guard or something (not sure though) in the way of me reaching the filter. Does anyone know what it is and if it is easily removed? There appears to be a good few bolts holding it in place. :confused:

Help will be very much appreciated :)!

IMGP1344.jpg

sx_turbo

Lifer
yeah you need the specific toyota tool when that is in place.

that sheild thing, stops oil from going on the air con pump.

most places take this off as it makes it a right pain in the arse

ChrisW

Lifer
Any ideas how hard it is to remove? It looks like there is about three bolts in some right tight places holding it on? :confused:

Beaker

Member +
Just reach in from above and undo the filter by hand. Thats what I do and your only ment to tighten them up hand tight so it shouldnt be a problem.

Just reach in from above and undo the filter by hand. Thats what I do and your only ment to tighten them up hand tight so it shouldnt be a problem.

I think its a lot easier going in from underneath the car personally. I would do away with the splash guard as its pretty pointless. then you should be able to get a filter removal tool of some kind to remove the filter.

The correct tool is like a cup that attaches on the end of a ratchet and simply sits on the end of the filter (sorry for the lame explanation but cant find any pics :D )

gv1.3

Admin
it doesnt have to be a toyota specific tool.

You will get something like below from Halfords or wherver and it does the job fine if going in from above

Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

sx_turbo

Lifer
it doesnt have to be a toyota specific tool.

You will get something like below from Halfords or wherver and it does the job fine if going in from above

Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

i have found that with that oil splash gaurd no other tools will work.

once the splash gaurd is removed you can use other tools

gv1.3

Admin
i have found that with that oil splash gaurd no other tools will work.

once the splash gaurd is removed you can use other tools

have to disagree with you there. A tool very similar to the one above is what I used and it works fine.

I then removed the air con and the splash guard and remove by hand now but while the guard was in place the above tool worked fine.

ChrisW

Lifer
Yea I had a good look and I doubt you would squeeze anything in between the filter and the guard (except for the toyota tool maybe as Ricky said). Ive bought a chain wrench thing as I couldn't get hold of a cup type one. I just cant see how I can remove the splash guard as there are two bolts in real bitches of positions!

gv1.3

Admin
fair enough then go get the toyota one lol... wasting my breath (or fingers)

Also you can remove the splash guard very easily from the front if you take the bumper off.... then again perhaps I imagined doing that as well...

ChrisW

Lifer

Also you can remove the splash guard very easily from the front if you take the bumper off.... then again perhaps I imagined doing that as well...

Sorry I didnt mean to disregard your thoughts I just couldn't get hold of one of those adjustable clamp wrenches that you pictured. I got one but the arms were too thick to squeeze between the guard and the filter (they were round as apposed the more rectangular shape in the pictured wrench tool).

Are you able to reach the splash guard with the aircon still in? Is it just a case of taking the front bumper off?

Jay

Admin
Ah yes, you have found the Japanese finger shredder or oil filter shield as others call it..

It's attached to the aircon compressor bracket by one or two 10mm bolts and can be removed for access. The part number for the genuine filter cup is in the oil filter chage guide in our resolved section.

59bhp

Member +
mate you can undo it by hand with the guard in place, you just have to grip the very end and just keep swinging on it, i get under the front of the car and grip it with my left hand (i.e. palm facing towards you) and then just heave lol its takes forever but it does come off. First time around it took me like half an hour just to undo the bastard thing. Once the first one is done its fiarly easy to get off as it shouldnt be stuck on to much if you change it frequently.

Jay

Admin
For access you can always unbolt the aircon compressor from the bracket (do not undo the pipes unless you want a faceful of mustard gas) and let it hang down out of the way.

Removing the front bumper will do you no good BTW.

sx_turbo

Lifer

lol keep your hair on.

maybe that tool you posted does work, but i havnt found any thing like that.

as regards to the gaurd, once the filter is removed i beleive it should be relatively easy to remove it.

ChrisW

Lifer
I gave up in the end lol and just did the oil change without the filter change! Try again another day I think :p!

Is it possible to go back and do it will oil in the bung or does the bung have to be drained again?

Trevor

Member +
Filter

For stubborn filters do as Jay said and unblot the aircon pump but keep the pipes attached to it.This gives you a lot more room.You can change the filter without draining all the oil out of the sump.
I gave up in the end lol and just did the oil change without the filter change! Try again another day I think :p!

Is it possible to go back and do it will oil in the bung or does the bung have to be drained again?

Big_Daddy

Member +

dont blame ya. Its a nightmare to remove. i didnt have a tool, just some big pliers. I got fed up and jammed a screw driver through it and forced it open, abit messy.

Recommned you change the oil as the filter is dirty and would contaminate the new oil.