Rear main seal leak

Gee

Member +
Hi guys,

Anyone ever had a rear main seal oil leak?

Got a leak and I checked the front crank seal and cam seal, both bone dry. The oil looked like it has blown up the back of the engine, maybe while driving.

However it has come to my attention that Starlet can suffer from a leak from the rear main seal, which is around the crank, behind the flywheel?

I guess the box would need to come off to fix this?

Last edited:

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yeah mine was leaking on my first starlet, noticed it while we were doing the clutch so we had the box out, pretty sure you do need it out

Gord R

Member +
Sounds like your rear crank seal.

Gearbox out and clutch/flywheel off.

Infact i have a new toyota crank seal forsale if you need one.

let me know
Thanks
Gordon

VERY common problem gee....its one of those things that seem to affect the E series engine

yeah the gearbox, etc has to come off.....

probability is that when u put in the new one........it will still have a slight leak after a short while

Jay

Admin
VERY common problem gee....its one of those things that seem to affect the E series engine

yeah the gearbox, etc has to come off.....

probability is that when u put in the new one........it will still have a slight leak after a short while

Yup, gear box off and flywheel out. Seal is around £35 from Toyota.

Can also add a little background on this too:

The seal in early mk1 GT's was the same unit used in the non-turbo models. This was changed to a different version pretty quickly (1990) so I imagine this must have been an issue at the start where they upgraded to a stronger version.

The turbo model suffers leaks here usually after 10+ years of use depending on the oil quality and the use that the engine receives. I've seen a enough cases of this to class it as a common item. Not really a fault, just part of the maintenance if anything.

If anyone is replacing a clutch make sure you replace this seal while you are there. It's often the issue that caused the clutch to go in the first place thanks to oil contamination.

Hope that makes sense Gee.

Gee

Member +
Mechanic does not seem to think it is the rear main seal, but I have ordered one anyway.

Also ordered driveshaft seals as it could possibly be these, because the oil drips are black and oil in the engine is perfectly clear as I have just changed it.

sx_turbo

Lifer
yeah...those are also common
make sure to get the correct ones....from memory one is slightly smaller than the other

yep correcto mondo

also u sure the leaks not coming from the side of the sump.

it is only sealed with instant gasket, so its a possibility

Gee

Member +
Not the sump, resealed it on Saturday.

I have ordered the parts with my model and frame number, so should be correct. For reference:

Drive shaft seals = 90311-34028 and 90311-34016

Rear main seal = 90311-75009

£64.85 inc VAT in total.

sx_turbo

Lifer
you managed to by the drive shaft seals individualy?

i was told i needed to by a gasket rebuild kit for the gearbox. so i did.

and that price.... wow, toyota = theiving scumbags

£64.85 for a couple of gaskets, really makes me mad.

Gee

Member +
Well yeah, them are the part numbers so I guess so mate.

Some people seem to have issues with Toyota but my branch are fine with me.

I guess I should really check my gearbox level then to ensure everything is fine!?

I thought your engine has only just been built though mate?

yeah....i've seen it happen to a lot of these engines..........whether rebuilt or just the seal replaced......started to "leak" (not really a big leak...but some wetness in the area) after a very short while

i figure something either does not fit absolutely right or something wears over time.............in any case it seems to be something not to worry about unless its pouring oil out

yeah gee...u should check your gearbox oil levels......but u probably wont need any ........as its usually a very minor leak

Gee

Member +
Thanks for the info there Gorgan, should answer your question there Dave?

Any other idea's of what it COULD be?

I have checked:

Cam cover/breather
Front crank seal
Cam seal

Next week will check:

Rear main seal
Driveshaft seals..

Any other possibilites while I get the gearbox off etc?

Gee

Member +
Checked gearbox oil today, was level so no leaking there.

The rear main seal, would engine oil leak out of this yes, nothing to do with gearbox oil?

The splashes on the floor are also closest to the drivers side.

My only other theory...is the dipstick o-ring. The bolt that the secures it to the block came out and eventually the dipstick worked itself lose and fell out. As this was a gradual thing, you think this is where the leak is coming from? The oil is all up the back of the engine and the oil drips are on the drivers side of the car where the dipstick also is.

What do you reckon?

Last edited:

king_stu

Member +
Gee, it does sound like your rear main seal. I had it on my mine, until i had the gearbox recon'd. Had that seal replaced. When you say its on the drivers side, thats spot on to what i had mate.
stu