Removing an Engine.

Is it possible or how could I remove a 4efte engine from a Glanza without an engine crane? I really don't want to buy an engine crane for a few hundred just for this one job and I don't want to ask anybody for a lend of one tbh.

I'm thinking of using good trolley jacks. Lift the car up high and take the engine from out under?

Anybody done it this way?

Comments and Tips welcome:)

GaryGT

Member +
Is it possible or how could I remove a 4efte engine from a Glanza without an engine crane? I really don't want to buy an engine crane for a few hundred just for this one job and I don't want to ask anybody for a lend of one tbh.

I'm thinking of using good trolley jacks. Lift the car up high and take the engine from out under?

ok no so safe lad
has any1 u know JCB or forks on a tractor???
if so off with the bonnet
support the engine under the sump remove what u need to and then ur engine mounts bolts and attached the sling to the left engine ancher that way the whole lot will come out as one
take ur time and it will be a good Job ;)
falling that i have a engine crane and il do the lifting for ya if ya want ;)

regards

Gary

P.s i wont charge ya either!! lol

jamesbaa

Member +

we dropped mine out the bottom, but we used the engine crane to lift the car up so we could pull the engine out! If you could lift the car high enough with a trolly jack then should be all good!

P.s i wont charge ya either!! lol

Ehh what is the catch? You will keep my engine or something haha!:haha:

I have a tractor with a front loader and stuff but the reason I don't want to use it cause my car is in a little garage in a housing estate.

Engine crane would be handy. Where are you in Meath? I would take a lend of it or if you wanna come down some Saturday we'll get the engine out together. I'll pay you a bit!

corofin12345

Member +

it will drop down no problem mate.. get something under back tires aswell so ull have more height while jacking the front up.. axle stands then behind front wheels at jacking points.. take away jack at front and ull have loads of room 2 slide out the engine :)

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
you can hre engine cranes,

it's defo a lot easier with an engine crae

About €20 a day too;)
I done a few without a crane,its a pain in the hole,with the crane you'd have it out in 45mins,without your talking a little over an hour.

Take gary's offer,not often he gives anything free:p:p

clarkytrd

Member +
hey dude, im buying a draper engine crane 2moro for lifting mine out, costin me 175 + Vat, just to ive you an idea on a price, il only be using the thing twice... so i just said feck it, il buy one!!

hey dude, im buying a draper engine crane 2moro for lifting mine out, costin me 175 + Vat, just to ive you an idea on a price, il only be using the thing twice... so i just said feck it, il buy one!!

Thats 200 quid I didn't want to spend! If I can rent one out then I will. After using it to lift out my engine and back in I don't need to use it again (well I hope not!)

irishgerard

Member +
i used some rachet straps round a scaffolding bar and 2 strong lads to lower it down gently then jacked car up as high as it would go then pulled it out

Jay

Admin
I've removed it both ways and would recommend the engine crane approach.

You can lift the engine and box out/in together. I did it with the trackstar and the conversion of Nanglebadger's EP91. Johnny just hasn't found the right stuff to sip when doing it.. ;)

Johnny_C

Lifer
I've removed it both ways and would recommend the engine crane approach.

You can lift the engine and box out/in together. I did it with the trackstar and the conversion of Nanglebadger's EP91. Johnny just hasn't found the right stuff to sip when doing it.. ;)
ive no paticence jay...lol

Sassu

Member +
what you need to do mate is prep the engine for removal.. ie pipes wires disconnect all so that the engine can be dropped out... you dont want to cause damage to pipes or plugs.
3 x men
1 x trolley jack
2 x axel stands
1 x piece of wood (4x2) should be good and thick enough

jack the car up fire the stands under for safety.

jack under the car with the block of wood. jack it up to the sump..
make sure you have a good hold.

proceed to take the engine mounts off. double check all piping and plugs are disconnected.. ie rad pipes, loom, fuel filter line and so on.

drop the engine slowly... with 2 people lifting the front end (it should be nice and light)

the other guy pulls the eninge clear with th trolley jack (assuming it has wheels and your not doing it on a muddy surface like i did once)

or if you have the space.. lift the body push it backwards with the enigine still sitting there... (make sure hand breaks off lol)

Last edited: