Target AFR

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i've finally sorted my AEM out and plumbed it in, just wondering what ballpark figure the AFR should be.

munday

Member +
Best power is at lambda 0.9 and best economy is at 1.1. To convert to AFRs just multiply by 14.7

Phil

Super Moderator
best power - 13.23?
best economy - 16.17?

munday i know you dont post if you dont have some info up your sleevey :)
so spill, what the best afr according to munday ? lol

Phil

TO82

Member +
Its all about a healthy balance, 99% of road cars will not run a lamba of 0.9 as this is for all out power, therefore if your getting your car mapped by a company they will never map to that, as there isnt alot of room for mistakes.

It all depends what you want from your car, there is not a so called target AFR for a car, you need to look at what you want from the car, power, economy, reliability etc :)

munday

Member +
LOL, hope there is no sarcasm there :p

Obviously the figures cannot be bang on for every engine but they are the best guide.

1.1 is best for economy but also produces high levels of nitrogen oxides and other nasties so in general a lambda of 1 is used as a compromise.

Best power is at 0.9 but sometimes people map richer to help with cooling.

Phil

Super Moderator
LOL, hope there is no sarcasm there :p

Obviously the figures cannot be bang on for every engine but they are the best guide.

1.1 is best for economy but also produces high levels of nitrogen oxides and other nasties so in general a lambda of 1 is used as a compromise.

Best power is at 0.9 but sometimes people map richer to help with cooling.

haha no honestly...just a fan lol

so best power @ 13.23, thought 4efte started eating piston ringlands etc at those sort of figures>? or are those figures ideal so long as temperatures are kept down>? something that its hard to do on a turbocharged engine!

13.23 is roughly what an N/a motor would be running at...ya?
or is 13.23 just the ultimate figure in lab conditions for a petrol engine, all other variables(heat/pre-ignition) excluded?

Phil

Last edited:

TO82

Member +
haha no honestly...just a fan lol

so best power @ 13.23, thought 4efte started eating piston ringlands etc at those sort of figures>? or are those figures ideal so long as temperatures are kept down>? something that its hard to do on a turbocharged engine!

13.23 is roughly what an N/a motor would be running at...ya?
or is 13.23 just the ultimate figure in lab conditions for a petrol engine, all other variables(heat/pre-ignition) excluded?

Phil

No, no cars from factory would run a lamba 0.9 tbh mate n/a or turbo, its just that for maximum power from an engine this is the afr needed :)

And yes pre ignition and heat etc, all play a part in why a normal car wouldnt run this kind of afr.

Phil

Super Moderator
ah right im learning learning :)
i thought i had picked up all my info wrong... you just caught me on the way to screw my fcon down a bit lol

Phil

TO82

Member +
Ye sure is, you need to know what you want from a car before modifiying imho, and cheers for the rep phil :)

munday

Member +
Yeah as long as temps don't get too high which could well be the case with the 4e engine. Best to tell with egt as well and if Temps are too high then a bit more fuel to keep it safe. Turbo or na would develop max power at the same afrs but as you say, more heat from the turbo engine sometimes limits what you can do.

So basically in an ideal world this is what you would run.

Ps thanks for the compliment :)

jabran200

Member +
only n/a cars can drive w.ot on 13.2.

The only time I would do that is for first couple psi.

most small CC turbo engines can be done at 12.5 on th limit (every car is different) 12:1 is safe.

GTti

Member +
I assume you are talking about WOT, how much boost are you going to be running?

WOT at over 1BAR plus I'd say anywhere between 10.5 - 11.5 to be nice and safe. I wouldn't run 12.5 on high boost. A richer AFR will reduce power slightly but keep the head cooler.

WOT at under 1BAR aim for a bit leaner 11.5 - 12.5.

The stock ECU seems to fuel at 10.5 on WOT, full boost.

Sustained 13+ AFR's on WOT would most likely crack your head, normal pump fuel would start to pre ignite. 13.5 - 14 should be more like the cruising AFR's at atmospheric intake pressures!

P.S Make sure EGT's aren't too hot high up on load.