Turbo timers - Discussion

Jay

Admin
These little black boxes impress friends, baffle passersby and cost us a few quid at the petrol pump.

Basically the theory is that after an enthusiastic bout of driving we let the engine run to allow the turbo time to cool. The turbotimer holds on the ignition so as we can get out, lock the car and dander off while cooling takes place.

Let's hear what turbotimers you guys are running. I'd like a few opinions for the newbie's to absorb:

Are turbotimers a worthy purchase?

How long do you set them to run?

Are you experiencing compatibility issues with alarms?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
I would say there more a convenience than anything. Simply "pottering" for the last five minutes of your journey will mean the turbo has had significant time to cool meaning you won't really need to use one.

If you've gone from 150mph to your front door then sitting in the car for five minutes isn't an attractive option especially when your take away is getting cold. Unless wired in some alarm systems can't be activated until the ignition is off which can cause a few issues, most modern day systems can over ride this though. We had a new clifford fitted for a customer last week and he could set the alarm whilst the turbo timer was running down.

Personally I have a Blitz Fat DC4 which detects how long the ignition has been on, it also has a digital boost gauge. The only reason I bought the unit many years back was the fact it had a digi boost reading, highly accurate and you can notice fluctuations of 0.01 psi, try doing that with a conventional gauge! If it didn't have this then I doubt I would even use one.

The run around has a 1990's brick TT, it's a near stock car though and literally just pop to the shops and back so there is no need to use one at all, never been turned on I don't think. If you live on a dual carriage way and are likely to be driving the car hard before stopping then it's probably worthwhile, if you don't mind letting the car breath before stopping (as you should) then there isn't much point. As mentioned purely convenience, you can do the exact same thing yourself it just involves sitting in the car, a little patience and a little understanding for you pet :)

T

Deano

Banned
I have a cheap unknown brand turbo timer in my car which I am soon to replace I set it from 1 minute to 2 minutes I have it wired into my alarm so I can lock the car set the alarm and walk off I think they are a worthy purchase

Nwimie

Member +
ive got the turbo timer that come built in with the new clifford G5 alarms! all i do is press a button on my remote before i switch the engine off and hey presto the count down begins! i use mine everyday definitly comes in usefull to me and get lots of funny looks at work and questions why have you left the engine running. lol

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Not idea what make mine is buts its called a Starbo (I shit you not!). I always use mine, usually leave it on for 2 minutes unless I've been out hammering her then I'll leave it for 5. No idea about alarm problems though, I don't have one!

rb69

Member +
I don't have one at the moment. Where i live, the streets are covered with speed bumps so i have to go slow over those anyway. In that time it should cool down but i always sit in it for a minute just to be safe. It's a bit annoying when you've got passengers and i need to explain about it when your getting out to go somewhere.

59bhp

Member +
ive got the turbo timer that come built in with the new clifford G5 alarms! all i do is press a button on my remote before i switch the engine off and hey presto the count down begins! i use mine everyday definitly comes in usefull to me and get lots of funny looks at work and questions why have you left the engine running. lol

yeah i have that alarm, my turbo timer is set for 1 minute but i generally take it easy for the last few miles anyways. I think theyre a brill invention and as i can put my alarm on and lock the car whilst the turbo timer is running the engine it is very convenient.

Elaine

Lifer
I have a HKS Turbo timer…

Depending on how I have been driving depends on how long I let is run for. At the moment its runs for 1 minuet but I have a long track to drive down before I get to the front door..

If I have been out for a drive I let it run for 2-3 minuets…

I think its great have had so many people run after me to tell me I have left the car running. Works find with the Alarm, well I can lock the doors and the immobiliser is activated but if someone where to open the door I don’t think the alarm would sound.

I am really not sure if there a good idea or not I mean how much can your car cool down in just a few minuets???

benGT

Member +
I have a Blitz DTT DCIV like Toby. It is a digital boost gauge as well and the only reason I got it really. It adjusts itself automatically depending either on how long the ignition has been on or how long it's been boosting for. I have it set for a minimum of 30 secs as I generally drive gently for the last mile or two of a journey, if I dont I just add a minute to it as I get out.....simple.
Also I enjoy comments from people at work telling me i've left my car on. As if I didnt know? It's loud enough!

sx_turbo

Lifer
i have a blitz full auto turbo timer.

it goes up and down, according to how hard i have been driving, it has a minimum of 30 seconds, and has a warning for when the timer gets to its limits.

i have a maximum time of 3 minutes, once it gets to this it bleeps like mad at me, and so i slow down.

i never set the times myself, i left it as it was when it came from japan.

i dont know if it does help but whilst its there i may aswell use it just in case.

also the turbo timer is not combatable with my alarm TOAD Ai606. i have to buy a timer harness from toad, its on my list of things to do i just havnt got round to it lol.

Last edited:

Elaine

Lifer
I wish mine did that, I think it might do but my ex put it in for me so god only knows if it does what it should do

Basketti

Fresh Recruit
i dont have one, and as far as i know my car has never had 1. the owner before me didnt have one in there. If the turbo has been boosting for a while, I do let it cool down for a few minutes before i turn it off, but thats hardly ever.

GTti

Member +
I would recommend driving around at 2.5-3,500 RPM for around twice the time it takes for your coolant to heat up.

This way there will be more oil pressure due to oil pump operation (thus more lubrication), coolant will be up to temperature quick (more efficent engine operation temperatures), oil will warm up quicker and give better protection and cooling.

Your oil is a coolant for your engine as well, it takes probably twice as long as your coolant to get up to temperature.

The same can be done when ending your drive, bring oil and coolant temperatures down then let the convection process look after your engine. The water lines to your turbo are not the main cooling source, oil is!

Sitting around at idle won't achieve the above.

Rutger

Member +
I have a blitz one, dnt no exact model as it was on the car when i bought it!

mine is only on one minute,
and i never change it!,, if ive been out for a drive, so putting the car through its passes or just driving home from colllege sitting in trafic.

im guessing this is two short then,

i might change the setting to about 3 minutes and mayb even longer if ive been out and about!

Rut

Last edited:

king_stu

Member +
Well i'm lucky (or unlucky?), My area is covered with speed humps too my house. So its a nice slow drive for 2mins. Always drive the last mile or so at slow arse speeds to let the turbo cool down and leave it for 30 secs to chill. Wouldn't mind a TT but i would always stand around waiting for it to turn off! Lol

Monty

Member +
Which Turbo Timer is best?

I am defo buying a Turbo Timer, i cant stand anymore of sitting in the car for a bit after driving to give the turbo time to spin down. Its soul crushing stuff (,")

Whats the bestTurbo Timer to get, wheres the cheapest place to buy it, and how hard are they to install?

Let me know y'all.

Ayag Shamash khazakstan!

benGT

Member +
get one off ebay mate. usually loads on there going cheap. If you then get a harness it'll be easy as pie to install

Paddy

Lifer
biltz do a turbo timer that has a digital boost gauge. i think it is called the blitz DTT. they go for about £40 on ebay

I've an ultra jobby, was in the car wen i bought it and works perfectly.

Has a manual and auto mode, so u can pre-set a time to cool, or let the timer work out regarding how hard u been ragging it.