upgrading starlets brakes topic, opinions expertise be helpful.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
right im running ebc grovved discs, yellowtuff pads, i feel there a fairly good stopping set up, but not as good as i would like and tbh with tracking the car i feel i need a little more stopping power.

now options are....
1. wilwoods(expensive), but would et them if came up at right price.
now are these a straight bolt on jobby, or do i need spacers and longer wheel studs like m12??? I have rota auto x rims if that helps.

2. WMS 4 pots, again same as wilwoods about fitment wise, adive be appreciated.

3. st165 2pot calipers- fairly cheap upgrade and heard good reviews about this upgrade. are these bolt on with minimal fuss???
and what discs are best to use as ideally would like larger discs and thicker to help with heat dissapation.

4. levin bzr conversion, similar questions as with st165 calipers above, even though just seen the guide on this conversion.

any thoughts, advice or reviwes and experiences would be grateful and appreciated, as im desperate need to upgrade sharpish...

dac69er

Super Moderator
the st165 twin pot conversion is ok, but there arent really any uprated pads for them. the discs i used with them are 1mm larger but alot thicker than standard. think they are another 7mm thicker from memory. the conversion is easy.

alot of people run similar setups to yourself and find the brakes are fine for track!?

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
my main issue ir cracking discs tbh matey, and whilse replacing them i may as well upgrade stopping power.
and if can increase stopping power nd decrease distance it improve lap times....

where u get your st165 calipers and what discs????
anything else you need for it??? spacers studs etc????

dac69er

Super Moderator
i got the calipers and carriers from a member on here years ago. i use slightly modified astra mk4 discs.

its all direct bolt on. no spacers or longer studs. its a really good conversion as it doesnt require any real modification.

stopping power is good, but with stock pads you can get brake fade on the street if you drive it real hard.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
do braided lines fit on as well matey, as got a set of these fitted.
do ou have a link to the mk 4 astra discs?? how thick are they??
thanks for help mate.

dac69er

Super Moderator
the lines fit the same. think they are 25mm thick and stock starlet ones are 18???

just search for mk4 astra front discs. just make sure you get the 4 stud and not the 5 stud ones.

ian

Member +
I've had the levin brake upgrade on mine and changed to wilwoods a few months ago, i have not really driven the car very hard since changing over but when i first fitted them and gave it a test run i found the wilwoods much better, stopped a lot better and quicker.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
wilwwods are that much more expensive, and mine handles really well so just after a upgrade in stopping performance compared to standerd calipers.

i would get wilwoods if were cheap enough ie not 800.

also is there any extra work needed for wilwoods to fit or isit straight bolt on

dac69er

Super Moderator
thanks matey, did discs need maching down???
think i look into doing this for time being as my brakes need upgrading.

you could get away without it, but to make it spot on it needs some minimal machining. cant remember the exact specs off the top of my head

Shorty

Member +
I believe the astra disc needs the hud boared to 54/55mm depending on the age of the starlet if its a v then its 55 they are 53 centre boare discs i belive. Iv got ae111 twinpots but as of yet havnt fitted them, im using grooved corola vvti discs, they are 258mm by 25mm and a 55 centre boare but as i havnt fitted yet i cant say if studs n spacers are needed, sum say yes sum say no. Depends on the disc offset so will update my findings when i trial fit next week, also the st and ae111 share pads with a few other toyotas i think the st shares with the avensis or altezza i forget wich but either way ebc do a performances range of pads as a mate runes st calipers on green stuff pads ;) hope this helps a bit.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
how much was yours shorty????

tbh i heard of astra discs and reckon be a good upgrade.
and st165 calipers are pretty much bolt on.
wold like to know about maching involved, as havent heard of the hubs needing boring out a couple mm.

and extra input be useful guys, and its helpful so far...

dac69er

Super Moderator
its simple enough when you get them mate. needs about 2mm off the inside of the bell of the disk and another few mm off the inside of where the disk bolts to the hub. its easy enough to measure when you get them. anyone who has access to a lathe can do it.

i dont have the measurements to hand.

pockrockgtti

Member +
Go get yourself a set of single pot calipers off a st185 celica, its the besy upgrade i ever made. They more or less bolt on if you know what discs to use. All you need to do is get yourself a set of 280mm discs off a Vauxhall Astra 1.7 cdti and make sure they are the 4 stud ones like this. If you use those discs u dont need any longer wheel studs, and you dont need to place a massive spacer inbetween the hub and the discs, like you do if ya use the corolla tsport discs, all you need to do is get a spigot ring made to reduce the center bore of the vauxhall disc from 60mm to 54mm and it all bolts on.

471118ff.jpg

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
another option hadnt really thought of.
so 2 pots or the 185 single larger piston?????

who made the sigpot ring matey???
how these singles compare in overall stopping power.

pockrockgtti

Member +
another option hadnt really thought of.
so 2 pots or the 185 single larger piston?????

who made the sigpot ring matey???
how these singles compare in overall stopping power.

They were custom made, a mate made them for me. Cost me a tenner for the pair, anyone with a lathe would be able to make them. Stopping power is superb much better than the standard calipers, even with upgraded discs and pads. Its the best value for money i reckon, as far as brake conversions go.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
how much it cost you roughly mate???
just need to find the calipers and carriers, anyone know how much they are??

surprised no one has tried to push towards for pots yet.