4EFE turbo, ignition timing problem

E10-2001-CT9

Member +
Hi, i put an oem 4efe, with thicker headgasket an selfmade adjustable Camgear to turbo. Uses oem 4efte distibutor,turbo, ecu,injectors etc. but if i use scobe to flash the timing, i run on 20° btcp. if is change to 10° btcp i will burn my pistons and have much less power.dont understand. all marks are correct, crank cams distributor but i only can set up ignition timing with my feelings an aftermarket EGT gauge. i also used the TE1 and E1 pins in checkbox for setup my iginition timing

the timing marks on crank pulley are same at 4efe. so i doesnt have idea whats wrong? should my selfmade adjustable camgear (fixed at 5EFE nose to cam) make these problems? i think teh cam make no difference which nose is gots at cam gear because the outer gear ring i can adjust to reduce timing mistakes from thicker HG.

hope someoen ca give me good new idea, or something to solve the problem

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Funny you should mention this, I set the TPS on my boosted 4EFE whilst the engine was on the crane. When I checked the timing after fitment I found the TPS didn't seem to be working (idle going up when put in diagnostic mode is a dead give away, it should go down to approx 700rpm). I had to bridge the bottom two wires on the TPS connector to get it set properly.

Might not be your problem but thought it worth mentioning.

Jay

E10-2001-CT9

Member +
i think wiring is ok. measured every pin from ECU to the actuators/sensors

my Trottle Postition sensor is from 4efe Gen1 with 88PS. this is only an switch. can i adjust sometring at this? should i try to set the ignition without the TPS? have an green labeld ep82 ecu.
Later 4efe got real TP Sensor, which changes the resistor. but like 4efte wiringplan showed, i need an TP"switch"

Last edited:

bongskag

Member +
you mention the cams are set to 5e mark, do you have 5e cams or the 4e ? if they are 4e then change to cam sprocket to line up with the 4e mark.

E10-2001-CT9

Member +
back from garage.

problem is solved ! !

it was the TPS. At idle it doesnt switch the idle contact. so the ecu is dissy. Now i set TPS with feeling, but think it isn`t 100% correct. but engine hold better the idle rpm, before it raises and falls.
correct setup i found at wiki. will do this tomorrow.very cool ! !

@bongskag
i use 4efte cam. The cam gear is fixed at 5e. the only difference form 4e to 5e mark is 1/2 teeth.because i build it to adjustable there are no problem. I`am sure this is correct, thougth about this long time.

Last edited:

ben10

Member +
going from 20d btdc to 10d btdc is retrding the ignition. this will help with pre-detonation not make it worse.... static timing should be 7-10d btdc on a 4efe with a bolt on turbo.

tiksie

Member +
Funny you should mention this, I set the TPS on my boosted 4EFE whilst the engine was on the crane. When I checked the timing after fitment I found the TPS didn't seem to be working (idle going up when put in diagnostic mode is a dead give away, it should go down to approx 700rpm). I had to bridge the bottom two wires on the TPS connector to get it set properly.

Might not be your problem but thought it worth mentioning.

Jay

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my cars RPM rises when I put car into diagnostic mode, does this mean my TPS is shot ?)

It rises about 250RPM