aircon question

will be removing my aircon very soon, but not sure about the gas ive heard that it could be dangerous, but a friend of a friend who works at quick fit said its not. so which 1 is right i dnt know when the system was last filled or how much is in there just dnt want to take any chances

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
The refrigerant(gas) is very dangerous mate. Can cause severe burns if it comes in contact with the skin or eyes. Its also very harmful to the atmosphere and should be emptied by a garage into a special a?c workstation although alot of people release it into the air.

kieran.s gt

Member +
The refrigerant(gas) is very dangerous mate. Can cause severe burns if it comes in contact with the skin or eyes. Its also very harmful to the atmosphere and should be emptied by a garage into a special a?c workstation although alot of people release it into the air.

you can get places that will drian the gas for you but whenever im removing aircon the hammer always seems to hit the pipe for some reason

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
you can get places that will drian the gas for you but whenever im removing aircon the hammer always seems to hit the pipe for some reason

Lol i know what you mean mate. I was always the same until i went for training last month to become certified and the stuff you learn and see made me wish i never released it into the air. Its a big risk and 99 times out of 100 you will be fine but its the risk you take.

Last edited:
i think ill get the garage to do it just need to make them aware of the dangers, i believe they have changed the stuff in aircon systems now so its not dangerous but obviously i dnt know if the safe gas is in my aircon. thanks for input guys

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
i think ill get the garage to do it just need to make them aware of the dangers, i believe they have changed the stuff in aircon systems now so its not dangerous but obviously i dnt know if the safe gas is in my aircon. thanks for input guys

The gas used in most cars nowadays is R134a and is dangerous. There is no safe gas at the minute mate. There is a new system in development using co2 but the pressures needed to run it efficiently are very high but there getting there. Still a while away though. Any garage capable of doing an evacuation for you will or should be aware of the dangers. The proper equipment garages should have takes nearly all the danger out of the job.

Foggy

Member +
Have the car out in the open air. Open one on the nuts on at ac pipe pull it off and walk away quick no breathing the gases (wear a mask). Come back to the car 10mins later job done.

corofin12345

Member +
theres a valve (like a tyre valve) at the unit at the front right of the aircon rad.. place a towel or cloth over the valve and press the valve till if empties.. got a load on me and nothing happened.. i had this 11th toe from birth.. "they say the gas can cause forgetfulness".. doubt it!!!

Have the car out in the open air. Open one on the nuts on at ac pipe pull it off and walk away quick no breathing the gases (wear a mask). Come back to the car 10mins later job done.

the only problem i have with that is theres a lot of passing pedestrians that pass my house so i doubt i could do it on my drive, so woould have to go out too the countryside lol

bucketep91

Member +
rob bring it up and do it outside mine, the gas dissapears in a few seconds. i just took a bolt out on the left hand side and seperated the 2 pipes and all the shit came out all over me and was gone in 2 secs. easy peasy

oh and you wont be able to convince me to sell the 4x4 lol

pig666eon

Member +
i do refrigeration for all what has been said here its not good haha as of 2006 anyone caught releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere can actually do jail time now for it. the stuff it self is really bad man if you open the receiver by accident for any reason while its shut down you will be physically scared for the rest of your life ive have seen it. because the stuff has a lower evaporating temp at room temp it will have the same effect in contact with skin as boiling water only worse as not only will you get scared with burns but also could end up loosing part of your hands to frostbite.

for the sake of a tech doing it for 20-30 pounds it think its well worth not taking the risk. i know people are going to be on here saying you dont know what your talking about i done it myself with no probs but ive visited people in hos and its not pretty. im no saint im telling you now but sometimes its a good idea to do things right. as said already it is illegal to vent it off and of 2006 you can face jail time over it.

whatever you plan on doing just be safe and dont rush in doing something stupid always plan out what your doing and be a step ahead. if you were near i would do it for you for nothing but there is a bit of a distance issue haha