anyone changed a turbo on an ibiza 1.9 tdi?

churcherj

Member +
seen one fairly cheap but needs a new turbo, its the pd130 engine (ASZ) i wondered if anyone has had any experience changing the turbos on the TDI units, whether theres much room etc?

danb87

South East England Area Rep
a mates got one, i will ask hm as hes done alot of work on his. an hes pretty simple so i cant imagine its too hard lol

churcherj

Member +
a mates got one, i will ask hm as hes done alot of work on his. an hes pretty simple so i cant imagine its too hard lol

haha that made me laugh, ye ask him that wud be good bud :) i used to have one of these cars with the exact same engine but didnt really look into the mechanical side when i had it so cant remember if theres much room to work on it, or if its a pig to get too etc

ye i thought soo, ive seen low mileage ones for sale but not sure whether id fit it. do u have experience with fitting them to the PD engines?

What year is it? Cant remember last time I seen a PD engine Ibiza but is the engine mounted sideways with timing belt cover at the front or is it at the side?

There not that hard. Same as a starlet. Screw it off! Just go easy with the oil lines and stuff and it will be fine

whiteglanzav

Member +
yer on the newer ones they are a pain i think it costs around 600 pounds as the manifold and turbo is one piece - inter cooler pipes have to come off and a couple of other bits - its just a bit of a tight job i think !!

Gav_Kara

Member +
Not to bad to do really but can struggle on oil feed pipe sticking. You need to remove a drive shaft to for room to pull turbo out. Normally problem with turbo is the vane waistgate set up the tend to coke up and cause over boost problems.

churcherj

Member +
thanks for the replies people, didnt realised ud have to remove a drive shaft!? the turbo is located towards the back of the engine, say towards the windscreen.....it does look tight tbh!

churcherj

Member +
What year is it? Cant remember last time I seen a PD engine Ibiza but is the engine mounted sideways with timing belt cover at the front or is it at the side?

There not that hard. Same as a starlet. Screw it off! Just go easy with the oil lines and stuff and it will be fine

its an 03 plate 1.9 pd130

churcherj

Member +
like this:

tdiengine.jpg

Gav_Kara

Member +
Yes defo need to remove drive shaft cis the turbo is part of the manifold and it won't come out with shaft in place mate. It's same if it's a 130 or a 150 model there easy to do just takes some time buddy.

churcherj

Member +
Yes defo need to remove drive shaft cis the turbo is part of the manifold and it won't come out with shaft in place mate. It's same if it's a 130 or a 150 model there easy to do just takes some time buddy.

ah right ok thanks for all your help :) seen an ibiza sport tdi for £600 but needs a new turbo and the intercooler system flushing as the turbo went, was thinking it could be decent for a daily runner after it was fixed but not sure if its more hassle than its worth....engines only done 80k which is nothing for these.....in good nick they are like 3k with that mileage, makes me wonder if anything else is wrong with it, seems to cheap to be true

danb87

South East England Area Rep
ah right ok thanks for all your help :) seen an ibiza sport tdi for £600 but needs a new turbo and the intercooler system flushing as the turbo went, was thinking it could be decent for a daily runner after it was fixed but not sure if its more hassle than its worth....engines only done 80k which is nothing for these.....in good nick they are like 3k with that mileage, makes me wonder if anything else is wrong with it, seems to cheap to be true

i haven heard from my mate, i think hes forgot how too txt, am answer his phone lol. from what ive read on these posts seeems a very tight space, an looking at the pic proves that lol

Be careful the turbo compressor blades have not shattered and entered the engine

bullet

Member +
ive fitted loads of these, really common for the wastegate to seize up, driveshaft is all bolt on so dont need to worry about loosing oil etc. easy an easy job to do really, just need to work in a tight space, everything comes apart really easy. if the intercooler is full of oil then you might find you'll need a new cat/exhaust as the oil can flow straight through and damage that aswell. ive got away with just running them to burn off the oil in the exhaust

durmz

Member +
The problem ide be worried about is the seller could easily say the turbos shot to cover a host of bigger problems, that youd never identify, because you could put it all down to the turbo being fucked