Blue smoke when at idle, but smells oily???

durmz

Member +
smells oily because it is oil, oil will burn blue, meaning its likely the seals in ure turbo, or something in ure engine is dud, piston rings i think, may be wrong, but its usually the turbo

GlanzaMat

Member +
could be a number of things

1) Oil rings on pistons; but a comp test will not always show this as being the cause

2) guides or stem seals

3) turbo

rule out the things you can do yourself, so go and find a big hill and let the car overrun until you reach the bottom, at the bottom give it a boot and if you get lots of blue smoke then i suspect stem seals or guides

you can also do a comp test, but as said it, it will not always be conclusive. A cosworth YB i rebuilt years ago had the same issue, a comp test wasnt conclusive, but once stripped down it was clear to see it was the oil rings.

you could always whip the turbo off for inspection; you will normally find a wetness if its oil seals

kielgt

Member +
yea iv had the turbo looked at and the compression tested its all fine,,. the it still goes fine tho?????

tris_glanza

Member +
mine does the same i would take it out give it some beans then stop and a hell of a lot of blue smoke would come out only happens sometimes hasnt happened for a while now though!!!

kielgt

Member +
mine does the same i would take it out give it some beans then stop and a hell of a lot of blue smoke would come out only happens sometimes hasnt happened for a while now though!!!

yeah same here mate. cant find whats wrong with it... it still goes hard easily 150.haha

mork

Member +
Could be knackered PCV valve. If it can't let the pressure out of the crankcase then the oil is pushed past the rings.

kielgt

Member +
Could be knackered PCV valve. If it can't let the pressure out of the crankcase then the oil is pushed past the rings.
thanks for that mate and all the other info iv had its the best web site iv ever used. sound.