Camber setting

i have d2s coilies and passenger side tyre is rubbing with the mudgaurd inner dent and now the tyre is scratched on its side , this happened when i catched a bump or hole too hard. it is lowered a bit. but on the other side everything is fine only catches a bit the dust cover like with the passenger side too. i've noticed that camber when done was set differently each side. the driver side has more negative camber than the passenger side. It pulls to the passenger side a little bit too. (i noticed that are differently setted cause when you see the top mounts measurments its clear that one is more negative than the other)

is it normal on a Glanza that camber is set differently on each side? setup was done in a garage supposley profesionally.

can i adjust the left hand side coilie as the other as camber by myself?

also will aligment and steering are affected when camber is setup like i need it?

what precautions need to be taken when setting it up? seems not a hard job to do a slong as you have the measurments marked on the top mounts!

any help will be appreciated thnks

durmz

Member +
Im no pro on the subject, but I definatly would not want different camber on each side, sounds like a baaaad idea. When I recieved my coilys a couple months ago I whacked 1.5 degrees of camber straight on, havent had alignement done yet but the tyres are shit anyway, but it drives straight so not worried. I do catch the plastics under the arches quuuiitte alot! but really couldnt care less lol, burnt a hole in one side I think

thats what i tought too, i will put them the same and order a pair of front tyres as one is scratched from its side, the one that rubbed so hard with the mudgaurd. its not continuosly touching either, it touch when a hard bump is taken (so rare as i pay attention to avoid but i i took one a while ago and from that time i think that the damage was done).

weeJohn

Lifer
There is enough movement around the bolts that connect the shock to the hub to allow about 3 degrees of wheel camber change at least. 1st thing you need to do before you touch anything is measure the camber at the wheels. It is possible, if the shocks are not bolted to the hubs in the same position either side, for the top mounts to be in a different position and wheel camber to be the same.

Once you adjust the camber the allignment will need set again. Before I took my car to get the allignment se I parked it on a flat surface, jacked up the front and loosened the bolts that attach the shocks to the hubs. I then set the top mounts in the middle and set the car down on its wheels. Providing your tyres are not worn at an angle the wheels should sit at 0 degrees camber approx. Then you can tighten the bolts up and the main adjustment will be done at the top mounts during allignment.

Gord R

Member +
Get yourself a camber gauge to start with, these can be used to measure the camber at the wheel. Or make yourself a gauge using a protractor and a 90 deg flat edge. Measure this on both the front wheels so you have a reference of any differences, plus you know where you need to be at.

As John has said, its not so straight forward as just adjusting it on the top mount so it the same as the other side. You dont need to measure camber off the hub/strut, BUT there is adjustment for camber there also, so effectively with adjustable top mounts you have two points of camber adjustment. Both the bottom bolts to the hub are movable to allow for camber adjustment so its possible that to get the camber the same they have made adjustments on the hub/strut as well. How do the wheels sit in the arches when point straight ahead?

Also to bear in mind when making camber adjustment your track will be affected, as possibly will your castor depending on how your top mounts are setup. My tein adjustable top mounts were set so that any camber adjustment effected the castor, the more negative I gave it the more castor I got.

Hope that gives you a bit more insight, any more info drop me a pm iv spent quite alot of time year looking into suspension setup on my Glanza.

td04 project:)

Member +
I have just had my glanza back from getting setup on miesters and one side was set to 1 degree and the other side at zero, at first i thought the same as you but i was informed that even when you top mount camber adjusters are set to zero the camber on both sides it more than likely to not be spot on so it is all determined by the gauges. So it is down to wether you trust the guy that done it or not:confused:
Correct me if i am wrong any1.

Rory

Lifer
Just for referance, either side wont read the same due to weight diffirences ;)
Hence why the readings differ from side to side.

Gord R

Member +
Ah yes Rory, good shout. Something i forgot to mention, mine is setup to allow for driver weight.

ok thats gave me some more info thnks Gord R 6 Rory, but i will check it out profesionally again at other garage in the near future!

MentaLEP91

Member +
Aye just don't try to change your camber angles WITHOUT any pro help. also try to be inside the car when the adjustments are made because the car turns with you in so it must be aligned correctly.

some things to remember is that those coilovers can adjust Camber angles both from Topmounts and below, at the base of suspension (bad english lol) so if you see
a different "angle" on the top mount , dont be worried.