can storing a turbo for long damage seals?

durmz

Member +
I ask as Im very interested in buying a second hand low mileage ct9 but has been sat in a garage for a year. would this dry out and damage the seals? Ive already bought one smokey ct9, just dont want to risk buying another. thanks

ibz

Member +
i bought a td04 from a guy who apparently had it lying there for over 6 months and it was fine when i put it on

durmz

Member +
ok thats not too bad then. any more input/ anyone stored a ct9 for ages then smashed it on?

Oil can often seep out past oil seals and onto the compressor / exhaust wheels but that is all that I know off what can happen.

When you start the car up dont just fly off. Let it warm up and get the oil into the turbo - be no harm to prime the turbo with oil first!

steveep82

Member +
I just put a ct9 ive had laying around for about 3 years back on my starlet, it seems fine so far, i chucked some oil in it and spun it before leaving it for a day just in case though before i put it back on.

turbo oil seals aren't like a rubber seal to dry out. there like a small spring ring of steel similar to a tiny little piston ring. so unless they corrode then i can't see why leaving it unused would cause a problem.

Tim :)

corofin12345

Member +
before you put turbo on flush it out then put in a bit of oil and spin up the blades. (a compressor would be the job).. twill be nice and juiced up ready for use then..there should be no oil at all from exhaust side.. just turn turbo on its side (exhaust side) and again put a bit of oil in the port and spin up blades.. if any oil seeps out the seals are gone...

normally when i install new turbochargers, i like the crank the engine over for 30 seconds without firing it. this will spin the turbo up and generate oil pressure, then fire it up and let it idle for about 5 mins. jobs done then :) all lubed up using engine oil pressure.

Tim

corofin12345

Member +
^^ oh definatly ya.. they all should be primed before firing up... im just fussy and flush they out before i install.. god knows what kinda dirt and grime can get into the ports over time lying up... had a big ass spider and a white pouch full of little spiders in my old ct9..lol

corofin12345

Member +
Oil can seep out if the turbo is on its sides even when seals are good:p

ya if your using water for oil..lol.. id presume if this was the case once the engine is fired up and the oil pressure is up would it not piss out then?? my ct9b was seeping oil so changed the seals and it didnt seep then.. it also depends on how old your oil is.. over time it looses it viscosity and came seep out past the seals alright...

you have to remember if you place it on its side and everything is stationary then the oil will find its way through the small gap in the seal ring, if the turbo is horizonal like normal and spinning then its harder to find the gap and seep out. only other way out then is past the actual outer edges of the turbo seal itself which means the seal isn't doing its job and wants replacing.

This is also why garrett for example don't recommend fitting a turbocharger past 10' maximum of horizonal plane.

you have to remember if you place it on its side and everything is stationary then the oil will find its way through the small gap in the seal ring, if the turbo is horizonal like normal and spinning then its harder to find the gap and seep out. only other way out then is past the actual outer edges of the turbo seal itself which means the seal isn't doing its job and wants replacing.

This is also why garrett for example don't recommend fitting a turbocharger past 10' maximum of horizonal plane.

X2.

When a turbo is fitted to a car (journal bearing) the oil feed should also be at the top of the CHRA and the oil return at the bottom.

If the turbo is sitting on its side the oil will make its way past the piston rings and onto the exhaust wheels / turbine wheels.

Remember you cannot fully seal a turbo otherwise the shaft would be too difficult to rotate

Last edited:
this is another reason behind GT turbo's (ball bearing) as it doesn't need alot of high pressure oil to suspend the shaft, so they use a very small 0.7mm oil restrictor just to add lubrication without putting pressure on the turbo seals.

remember even the journal bearing does see quite alot of oil pressure, its straight from the main pressure line so 5-6bar when flat out. oil drain just has to point downwards or within 35' of verticle because its a gravity feed, it needs to be able to drain away or again you get a pressure build up and the easiest way out is past the oil seals.