Car just serviced, but is this too much oil?

ady_glanza

Member +
Hello all

I had my car serviced this morning and a full oil change and oil filter change was carried out. However the guy that did the oil change used around 500ml more than what should be used and at the time we looked at the dipstick and it was fine, probably as the engine was warm and new oil may have still been dripping down to the base.

However i got into work and let the engine cool down for around 4 hours. I've just checked my oil level and it is around 4mm above the maximum mark.

Is this ok or do I need to take some oil out, problem with taking oil out is that i can't do it till the weekend as i really need my car for essential work purposes until then. Is it ok to still run or would it cause any damage to the engine or any other component(s)?

Also can i get the AA to come out and possibly drain some oil, could still this be done somehow by removing the oil cap. If they can i can ring them and say that i'm concerned about my oil level and don't want to break down and if they could send someone out?

Any info much appreciated.
Many thanks

Paddy

Lifer
ive over filled my oil before, it ran alright, but did start to some, which took ages to clear, if u just crack off the sump nut and let a little bit out if will be fine.

ady_glanza

Member +
ive over filled my oil before, it ran alright, but did start to some, which took ages to clear, if u just crack off the sump nut and let a little bit out if will be fine.

hi mate
i haven't got the tools to do plus no oil catch
i'll have to also get the car up on a ramp and i can't go to the garage until the weekend at least
Is this something the AA can do for me as i've heard excessive oil can cause engine seal damage
thanks

Iain@CRD

Lifer
If your checking your oil level when your car is on a flat then you've got no need to worry. Your oil will always go down as it needs to fill up the oil filter.

dac69er

Super Moderator
you only need a 14mm spanner and you can change the oil without jacking the car up unless its stupidly low ;)

i wouldnt worry too much about 4mm over tbh.

ady_glanza

Member +
you only need a 14mm spanner and you can change the oil without jacking the car up unless its stupidly low ;)

i wouldnt worry too much about 4mm over tbh.

Thats ok, but that would also mean driving at low revs and no turbo as engaging any of these could damage the seals.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Means by having too much oil in the engine, too much oil is worce than having too little oil. But if you've checked it like i said, dont worry.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Means by having too much oil in the engine, too much oil is worce than having too little oil. But if you've checked it like i said, dont worry.

wouldnt affect the turbo though, thats what threw me!

just that small amount over wouldnt matter though.

George611

Member +
The main thing overfilling would to is build up too much crankcase pressure and push oil through crank seals etc. but if yours in only 4mm over i wouldnt worry too much to be honest if the engines abit aged itl probably burn it off nothing to worry about fella as everyones rightly said :D

chrisinflight

Fresh Recruit
Yes, as above the crank-seal would start to leak first if over-filled. 4mm is not too much but if you want to take some out- get a big rag, crack the sump nut and loosen it very slowly till the oil trickles out soaking the cloth. Dont forget to re-tighten sump nut and be prepared for oil on your hand (at least it`s new oil!)

Paul_JJ

Member +
I would get rid of that extra oil asap if that was my car!

Replace the oil filter or unscrew your old one drain the oil into an empty bottle from the milk for example and put it back on, make sure it's tight! No tools needed if you have strong hands! If you can't undo the filter tighten the belt around it!

Put something like a cardboard under the car as You might spill some drops of oil when you unscrew the filter, keep the cap down this way you won't spill much!

Or take it back to the garage say that they put too much and ask to replace the oil free of charge!

When you drain the oil filter you will get rid of 200 ml of oil which is around your 4 mm I think, looks like they put 3L instead of 2.8 - do not go to that garage again! And in the mean time do not REV your engine high unless you plan to replace your seals in the near future!

Rev

Member +
I experimented with oil level and found thick oil really slows the engine ( 50 grade high performance oil - not recommended for starlet ) if I filled it to 85% of the dip stick fill zone the car would rev up very quickly but when filled properly to full the engine was sluggish. So I found a small change in oil makes a big difference so now I keep the proper grade and spot on full when ever possible.

Rory

Lifer
Do you really think Toyota would put minimum and maximum marks there for a laugh? No.
Its over filled by about half a litre, which doesnt sound much, but in capacity, it is ;)

Nwimie

Member +
agree with bottom 2 comments for 5 minutes worth of work cracking an easily access able nut off and on i would get it sorted, + cars normally smoke when overfilled on oil.