Cars Cut Out Yet Again Wtf Is Going On Help!!!!

danb87

South East England Area Rep
right, i had an issue the other day with the car not starting an did the codes etc reset them fine. today just drove up the road, no more than 500 yards an car cut out.

i haven driven it since friday, but it started perfect first time, the oem boost gauge on dash goes too full boost? is it meant too?

the cars got a spark, but wont start, its fueling as its going intoo exhaust, an when it does turn over an breifly start it coffs an spluts an black smoke comes out everywhere.

can someone advise me here on wtf too do? its becoming a joke an not knowing whats causing this is very frustrating.

codes origonally were 14, 22,24,31

what too check for all of these? would any of these caus it?

thanks

dan

Gtstu

Member +
have you got a spare map sensor you could swap? also check for vac leaks the oem guage is linked to the map sensor.

danb87

just re done the diagnostics this time got these 22, 24, 31, 34

stu i dont have another map sensor unfortunatly :(

im running emu one t peiced intoo orgional one ?

Gtstu

Member +
mhmm possibly a wiring harness problem id check your emu wiring and ecu connecion also check to see if thr wiring has rubbed through on the bulk head

danb87

just did the reseting faults part, but codes 31 an 34 have stayed...

why?

Gtstu

Member +
map sensor faults check for continuity from the sensor plug to ecu , try a donnor sensor and check the vac pipe to sensor or possibly poor wiring to the emu i had the same problems ages ago when i was using a fcd took me ages to find the problem found out the fcd had a dry joint inside the unit. it was an intermitant fault when i went over a bump it would cut out etc.

Gtstu

Member +
them codes normally appear when you hit fuel cut but your emu will take care of that , my guess is a wiring fault with the sensor or sensor

danb87

stu, ive been advised too take the orignal map sensor out (bloc it of) an jut use the emu one, as it could send confusing readings?

that an idea?

AFR Tuning

Member +
stu, ive been advised too take the orignal map sensor out (bloc it of) an jut use the emu one, as it could send confusing readings?

that an idea?

Absolutely not ! The EMU is a piggyback altering the fuel and ignition signals of the stock ecu, without the stock MAP sensor attached the stock ecu won't be getting the correct load signals.

Check MAP sensor voltage at the sensor and then check the same voltage at the ECU. And as said, check for vacuum leaks.

danb87

checked for vac leaks, an cant find any, car wont start atall .

with the map sensors, do they have too be t peice together or shud they have there own vacumms?

AFR Tuning

Member +
checked for vac leaks, an cant find any, car wont start atall .

with the map sensors, do they have too be t peice together or shud they have there own vacumms?

As long as they have vacuum off the inlet manifold it doesn't matter if they are T'd or not. Only thing I find with EMU map sensors is if you have the vacuum line too long to them they can fluctuate on the map trace. But not a concern at the mo ;)

You'll probably find you spark plugs are coked up now and black as a gorillas armpit !

Does sound like the ecu isn't seeing the correct map sensor voltage, ie at idle the stock ecu thinks you are at no vacuum and therefore over fueling.

danb87

As long as they have vacuum off the inlet manifold it doesn't matter if they are T'd or not. Only thing I find with EMU map sensors is if you have the vacuum line too long to them they can fluctuate on the map trace. But not a concern at the mo ;)

You'll probably find you spark plugs are coked up now and black as a gorillas armpit !

Does sound like the ecu isn't seeing the correct map sensor voltage, ie at idle the stock ecu thinks you are at no vacuum and therefore over fueling.

would that caus the car not too start atall then mate?

an on the voltage, do you mean the map sensor for emu, or oem one? an how do i check in ton the ecu side?

AFR Tuning

Member +
Could do, pull a couple of plugs and have a look, if really black and wet then yes the car will definitely struggle to start.

danb87

update, disconnected battery over night as could not get faults too reset, now connected an got code 31 an 22 only

checked voltage on others aswel,

oem map sensor with igntion on 5v
air intake sensor with ignition on 12v
what i beive too be coolant temp sensor with ignition on 5v

im curious on what causes the code 34? excessive turbo charge pressure?

but ill have too take for a drive an see if any other fault codes appear.

opinions?

thanks

AdamB

Member +
Have you still got the original boost solenoid in the car? Just an idea, not sure if it would throw up one of the fault codes or not.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Have you still got the original boost solenoid in the car? Just an idea, not sure if it would throw up one of the fault codes or not.

WHen the car won't start at all - you have OEM boost lights on?

I had the same problem when adjusting the FCD, so now I just got rid of the fcd and it's starts fine now. Code 34 could be cracked manifold as well - I had it in the past, also a MAP sensor playing up, or a simple fuel cut. You have some sort of electrical problem, possibly short circuit somewhere Boost related or the aftermarket ECU/Piggiback - whatever you have - related.