coilovers vs koni's

Rob_00

Member +
i want to sort out my cars suspension since its still like a boat and i think the backs might be knackered. i was thinking coilovers are the way to go but the more i read, the less i like the sound of them. obviously comfort is going to be reduced no matter how its lowered but i want to get an idea of how suitable coilovers are for uk use? i was thinking of something like a set of tein flex or cusco zero2 (used as im cheap). my mate has koni shocks and springs on a punto and tbh, i could easily live with them, maybe a touch firmer would be fine

will i regret coilovers or is the hard ride kind of exagerated? i need opinions!

:gt-smilie:

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
You can get different rates for coilovers, you could make them softer than an '86 Cadillac if you wanted and I'm not joking. The problem is most don't know what rates to go for and most coilover sets do come with rates that are too tough for the UK roads (bound and springs). I wouldn't go over 4kg for the road yet most sets come with 5/6kg which is a little OTT unless you have nice smooth roads imo.

I would get koni like Dunc said, we use Koni and WL on our run around which sees only a few track days. The main demo has 4kg front and rear for the road (when we need to drive to shows) and 12kg front 10kg rear for the track, obviously these won't suit all tracks but we don't have a racing team budget!

Hope that helps...

T

Adam_Glanza

Member +
toby how much is it for coilover springs dude?

as we discussed before you went away i think my springs are too firm, as they bounce and skip over every uneven surface going round a corner, and tbh it feels very unsafe and doesnt give the confidence they should.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

What make are they Ads? If there bouncing it's because they can't rebound quick enough to the ever changing road surface , fine on a track but not on a normal bumpy road.

T

dac69er

Super Moderator
toby how much is it for coilover springs dude?

as we discussed before you went away i think my springs are too firm, as they bounce and skip over every uneven surface going round a corner, and tbh it feels very unsafe and doesnt give the confidence they should.

same here. after driving my eunos about and my purple uk starlet i think my D2s are too hard. i want some softer springs i think

Toby@ToyTuning.com

D2 ones are around £20.00 - £30.00 + VAT each off the top of my head, maybe less. Teins are more expensive not sure on the HA's if you give me the model codes on Monday I can find out for you :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
am i an arse if i say 6kfront+5k rear is rather nice? lol

peoples opinions on things are very very different, and there needs are very different, but i do agree with toby whiteline springs and koni shocks are prob the best allrounder.

but i beleive the way my coilovers are set, although being rather firm, there actually a smoother ride than the rs*r springs and monza shocks that was on my car when i bought it.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

No not at all Rick it is all down to personal preference you are totally right, we just prefer the 4kg as it's pot hole city around here and I value my teeth!

Right on with the site :)

T

sx_turbo

Lifer
No not at all Rick it is all down to personal preference you are totally right, we just prefer the 4kg as it's pot hole city around here and I value my teeth!

Right on with the site :)

T

lol,

also toby i did forget to mention my car is a weekend toy so maximum comfort isnt on my priority list lol

so basically everything toby has mentioned is spot on lol

Adam_Glanza

Member +
the ride is fine and when going in a straight line its fine, but my problem is around bumpy roundabouts and tight bends you feel literally every bump and it feels like its bouncing off the ground so im loosing traction which is a horrible feeling!

dac69er

Super Moderator
the ride is fine and when going in a straight line its fine, but my problem is around bumpy roundabouts and tight bends you feel literally every bump and it feels like its bouncing off the ground so im loosing traction which is a horrible feeling!

exactly the same here. it actually means you corner slower as you have less traction.

can you get D2 springs Toby?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i run koni's and for everyday use they are fine. i would say a coil-over setup would have a handling advantage but how often do you push your cars limits on the public roads?

asifatyard21

Member +
i am also considering the options of coilovers or konis etc... how much difference is there in the handling with coilovers or some good adjustables like koni's?
cheers

sx_turbo

Lifer
just go with the koni's mate,

although if you go for coilovers and change the spring rates this is a good alternative as its almost as much as the koni adjustables and lowering springs. and you can brag to your mates down the pub.

the downside is that coilovers need to be set up, so it wouuld be easier just to get the koni's imo.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
dont get me wrong the coilovers are great, but you need to get the right setup. i personally think springs + uprated shocks are ideal for the road imo.

but if you do trackwork etc then coilovers it is