compression results

jimmer

Member +
Right i got my engine compression tested, the results were that the outside two cylinders were at 200 and the inside two were 120 and 160.
what are the normal results for an engine? i thought they were all meant to be at 160?
my engine has spec up to boost controller, hybrid turbo, fuel pump, front mount, etc. in case this would change anythin over a standard engine?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well thats not very nice is it.. are u sure u had it done propperly? the most iv ever seen was a 12psi difference between one cylinder & the remaining 3... & that was one one seriously fucked engine...are u sure uv done it propperly?

coz lookin @ those figures id say ur guage is either not working propperly, or u need to open up to take a look inside... coz that aint a healthy result..

kon

sgtturbo

Member +
I done mine awhile ago they averaged bout 140 to 150 psi.
not sure if thats in normal range but its runnin super. lol

A

Animal GT

if jimmers results are rite!!its always repairable rite??

Starbus

Member +
I done mine awhile ago they averaged bout 140 to 150 psi.
not sure if thats in normal range but its runnin super. lol

Yep, sounds about right.

Random to get results that high. 200psi... There the 1s that are likely to be wrong.

A

Animal GT

if jimmers results are rite!!is it repairable if ur gona forge the engine??

jimmer

Member +
well on sat i'm gonna be taking the head off to see inside. the car still drove perfectly, only idled very low. i just drove it a mile up the road to get it tested in case some peeps think i'm drivin about in it everywhere lol.
i thought it was wierd that 2 cylinders were really high, but the mechanic said that the only way that happens is if the headgasket is gone or the head is cracked. meaning a cylinder is leaking from one to another.
hopefully isn't as bad as it seems, otherwise it is new engine time lol

Johnny_C

Lifer
between 150 and 180 is safe.
ive tested about 5 engines,and 180 was the most on all cylinders.
all 4efte engines.

jimmer

Member +
so what would my results mean? is it more than likely a head gasket leak or somethin else someone has come across?

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
200 is completely out of range, next to impossible (unless fitted with high compression pistons and thick headgasket but if so it wouldn't be on just two cylinders), then 140 or less is not very healthy, check whats inside mate u mite have to make some christmas sopping earlier than usual!

jimmer

Member +
the car drives perfectly, pulls away without any stuttering or anything. Only thing different is the idle is lower, cut out once too. but as i said, the car has no problems driving.
tomorrow me and chris (mi16205) are strippin it down to have a look inside an see.
will keep you all posted.

dac69er

Super Moderator
uneven compressions will generally make the car idle badly and not run so well at lower revs. overall power may be the same though.

i did mine last year and this year and got 170 ish across all 4 both times!

TurboDave

Member +
I dont understand where the 200psi is coming from?

Is it smoking or making any strange noises?

If I were you Idd to another compression test.