Compression test advice pls

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I'm thinking about buying a compression test kit so I can keep an eye on my cars health. The thing is I know nothing about em! Are they car specific? Are any brands better than others and is a compression test easy to carry out?

Cheers guys.

PS I'm assuming all the compression level info can be found on here?

Greg0r

Member +
compression testers arent specific, you can get a decent one for £20 from Halfrauds :p

they all do the same job, so wouldnt waste money on some of the really expensive ones,

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
wrong section.. this is hardly chillout material..

as for ur question, guages are universal, just make sure the unit ,matches the spark plug hole... (best take a plug with u ;))

compression of each cylinder should b within 5~8psi of each other.. results may vary on how hot the car is when the test is carried out.. ;)

kon

TurboDave

Member +
As long as it will screw into the spark plug holes it will be fine, I am not sure of teh adapter size you need but I am sure someone will.

The test is easy to do, warm up engine, remove all plugs, screw the tester into one hole, open the throttle fully, turn the car over a set amount of times ie 5 turns.

Look at the results and then do the other.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Doesn't sound too taxing. I'm sure I could get someone to draw me a picture!

Anyone know what adapter size I'd need? Its an EP91 if that makes a difference.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I know this might not be technically challenging for most you guys but can someone please tell me if this is an ok bit ok kit? If it isn't then what size do I need?

Thanks fellas, Hutch.

Smore

Lifer
dont forget to remove the EFI fuse so you dont flood the chambers with fuel and flood the engine

A leak-down tester is a measuring instrument used to determine the condition of internal combustion engines by introducing compressed air into the cylinder and measuring the rate at which it leaks out. Compression testing is a crude form of leak-down testing which also includes effects due to compression ratio, starter/battery condition and other factors. Leak-down testing confines the results to cylinder leakage alone.

Testing is done on an engine which is not running, and normally with the tested cylinder at top dead center, although testing can be done at other points in the compression and power stroke. Pressure is fed into a cylinder via the spark plug hole and the flow, which represents any leakage from the cylinder, is measured.

Leakage is given in wholly arbitrary percentages but these “percentages” do not relate to any actual quantity or real dimension. The meaning of the readings is only relative to other tests done with the same design of tester. Leak-down readings of up to 20% are usually acceptable while greater than that requires a repair. Racing engines would be in the 1-10% range for top performance.
While the leak-down tester pressurizes the cylinder, the mechanic can listen to various parts to determine where any leak may originate. For example, a leaking exhaust valve will make a hissing noise in the exhaust pipe while a head gasket may cause bubbling in the cooling system.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Not something I could buy from Halfrauds then? And by the sound of it not something someone without mechanical knowledge could do either. Would you still recommend getting a compression tester though? It must be better than nothing and I'd like to be able to keep my eye on the health of my engine.