CT9 i removed from my car a few weeks ago.....

Harvey

Member +
Now, ive heard of cracked wastegates, but this is something else!!!! Ever seen a CT9 like this? Its no wonder i thought i had lag on a CT9!!! lol

yqt1ss.jpg

yqt1s8.jpg

yqt1sc.jpg

Jay

Admin
Yup, seen worse mate although that's pretty bad.

The crack actually starts on the inside and appears around the wastegate at a later stage. Basically the third pic caused the first two. I keep a cracked unit to show visitors to the garage. Much easier to explain it with a good example at hand.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Yup, seen worse mate although that's pretty bad.

The crack actually starts on the inside and appears around the wastegate at a later stage. Basically the third pic caused the first two. I keep a cracked unit to show visitors to the garage. Much easier to explain it with a good example at hand.

yeah same here, iv seen one in a little worse shape.. when the exhaust housing was removed the inside fell apart.. basically where the impeller would be was actually holding in place thanks to the circlip in the chra.. how i have no idea as theyre not connected.. thank god it didnt go or somebody would have had a fucked engine if the bits went into the exhaust blades causing it to shit itself & send the impeller (front end) into the engine..

poor ct9's all the years have put them to quite alot of test..

GP82

Member +
I also think that if the cat is still in place + the stock exhaust system that jus' chokes the car + high boost cannot let the high temps out quick enough causin' the exhaust house to crack. Would ceramic coating on exhaust house when rebuildin' turbo be beneficial to try and prevent cracking of the wastegate? Is there any other options to make the housing more sustainable to heat?

supernova

Member +
Is there andy tell tale signs of a cracked wastegate? Is there excessive lag on the CT9 when cracked cause I do feel laggy when below 3.5k. Is there any smoke or anything?

Chris@CCM

Member +
Is there andy tell tale signs of a cracked wastegate? Is there excessive lag on the CT9 when cracked cause I do feel laggy when below 3.5k. Is there any smoke or anything?
some times it would not hold boost at higher revs too well. u can just replace the exhaust housing if u can find one in good nick but thats not easy . if there only a small crack you would not even know and the car would drive 100% too

Jay

Admin
Just to prove that Chris is speaking the truth Kev, your old CT9b was cracked. It's living on the trackcar at the minute and you would barely know.

It's usually once the crack breaches the cooling cavity a definite diagnosis can be made. The boost issue could be present but not evident, it's common place to remove a 'good' turbo and find it cracked.

Attachments

• Brake pads and discs2894.jpg
    Brake pads and discs2894.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 15

supernova

Member +
Yeh, didn't really notice anything wrong with that turbo as the car still pulled well. Is that the side where it is connected to the cat? So If i remove the cat, will i be able to see if there is a crack?

Jay

Admin
You will need to disconnect the actuator to allow the flap to fully open Kev, a mobile phone is very handy as you can't get your head into the engine bay.

Attachments

• cracked turbo outer.jpg
    cracked turbo outer.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 8