de-cat exhaust tune

dark_knight

Member +
de-catted my exhaust and now not really liking the tune it's playing.. :/ anything i can do to spruce it up..?
running a blitz air element and kakimoto exhaust.. any ideas..?
think i'll just baffle it for now until i can find something to do with it.. :)

clarkytrd

Member +
Its not a screamer pipe you fitted was it??

A de-cat doesnt make a bad noise as such, it actually sounds nice if you ask me!

dark_knight

Member +
@ clarkytrd: nah mate. running the stock ct9b with the oem mani as well.. :)
i guess i was looking for a more throaty sound, at low revs. don't mind whatever sound it makes higher up in the rev range.. as i'll be going too fast for people to notice anyway.. :p lol

weeJohn

Lifer
Did you remove the cat and fit something else or just knock the core out of the standard cat?

Either way it should not really affect the exhaust note, unless its not sealed properly and there is a leak?

corofin12345

Member +
a less restrictive back box should do it.. that or make up a pipe to fit into the back box so it will bypass the mesh in the box

Nickzorz

Member +
My backbox decided to fall off (mega rust issues) Sounds like a tractor...hate it.

Dont think starlets really have a "throaty" noise. More of a scream

will_maddox

Member +
I have a buddy club spec2 on the standard cat, and i think that sounds like a tractor until your near boost, but sound awesome in boost, i think a small unrestrictive back box on a straight pipe would sound nice as!!

dark_knight

Member +
i can live with it.. i guess

@ weeJohn: i gutted the cat and didn't put anything in its' place. no leaks either -- everything is tight. i'm guessing i just need to get used to it.. :)

@ corofin12345: my backbox (kakimoto) is a through-and-through with zero restriction. it has a baffle though so i'm thinking i can run that for a bit to see how it feels.. of course at the cost of some power.. :)

@ Nickzorz: yes, i think you are right mate. starlets have never had a grumble really. they are more screechy than throaty.. :D
the exhaust tune does change though when the engine is cold and when warm.. for obvious reasons of course.. :)