Engine Flush

buckfast

Fresh Recruit
yo oil change is due soon just wondering if i should use an engine flush nut dont know if it could loosen a big bit of sludge that could choke up any ideas?

EP82

Member +
I wouldnt touch those so called engine flushes with a 10ft barge pole (if I had one)

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
I wouldnt touch those so called engine flushes with a 10ft barge pole (if I had one)

i was about to say the same.. the major problem is that engine flushes use very corrosive material.. so if u flush it u can kiss ur valve seals as well as other items good bye, much sooner than u otherwise would..

dantheman

Member +
58,000 mile

i was thinking it was ganna be over 150k or something, 58k is fuck all, oil and filter change will do you.

agree with the others, that stuff isnt for people who care about there engines, its for those morons in halfords who think it will cure a cracked piston etc etc (has anyone seen that piston ring restorer they sell in halfords? :p)

Timmy

Member +
you gonna flush the engine just put some cheap oil in for a day than change it again but the second time with the filter. But that doesn't need soin unless the oil is really bad.

BomB191

Member +
iv flushed a water twice, with the raiditor flush and it works great fixed my cloged heater full of gunk and crap. nuffn worng with it

59bhp

Member +
yeah like everyone said dont touch it, but slick 50 engine treatment is very good, it doesnt clean anything but it put a protective coat over your oily bits and is apparently meant to be very good. Its a bit on the pricy side though.

ep_chen

Member +
just used mineral oil to run for 2 days and then change to your preferred choice of engine oil. remember to change the filter too.

weeJohn

Lifer
An engine flush is corrosive to seals as was said, but the main problem is that when you drain your sump, you are usually left with about half a pint of oil in the bottom of it. Then a little of the flush is always around your engine, doing damage.
If you are going to use one, either take the sump off and clean out the bottom of it or use one of those suction jobs to empty it.
Not worth while to flush it at 58K, no harm in removing the sump to clear it out but.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i used molyslip gearbox treatment and it seemed to make a small difference. better than a kick in the teeth anyway :)

if i remove my sump, how bad is it to seal back up? is it one of those sumps that will always leak once its been removed? some are a right bastard to re-seal

j4cko

Member +
ye they do loads of different ones, for engine, gear box, power steering system, all reasonably priced too