Engine Oil Light/Low Pressure

IppyEP82

Member +
Just after a little bit of guidance/help with the below if possible please guys:

The engine oil light popped up on my dashboard the other week, so quickly turned the car off and got it home.

Immediately i'm fearing the worst but wanted to discount a couple of things first, so ordered a new oil pressure switch and replaced that to no avail as well as fitting a new oil filter.

Now i would like to just confirm if the oil pressure is lower than it should be so was just wondering if somebody could confirm what the oil pressure should be around on idle please? and also any recommended places that i could check the oil pressure?

Many thanks

Navi

Member +
The light will go on at 0.8 bar or lower, which is like 10 psi or so, way too late.

Causes in order of appearance:
- oil too low
- sensor cabling broken / earthing problem
- sensor broken
- oil pump broken

IppyEP82

Member +
Thanks for the replies guys. I will get a pressure tester on there and see what it reads, but it looks to be pointing towards the oil pump.

If the oil pump has given up is it possible to change just that by dropping the sump etc or will extra parts need replacing?

Thanks

AdamB

Member +
It's a pain in the ass to do tbh. You have to remove the sump and strainer, remove cambelt, crank pulley off the top of my head, may be more. But its quite a pain if you don't have a ramp, and its fiddly to get in there.

I would check your other options first before going to replace the pump, as said above check that list, also check there is no blockage at the strainer, when was the oil filter last replaced?

IppyEP82

Member +
Thanks for the info.

I have already checked the oil level, oil pressure switch wiring and the actual switch and all were fine.
I will check that there isn't a blockage in the strainer when i drop the sump.
Oil filter was changed no more than 5000miles ago but i also changed it when i replaced the oil pressure switch just incase.

Is there a oil pressure sensor located somewhere or is it just the oil pressure switch on the block?

Thanks

AdamB

Member +
The only sensor is on the front of the block under the exhaust manifold.
The only other option it could be is a clogged up pressure relief valve, which is inside the sump. When you remove the sump,remove the strainer and clean that out, and whilst your at it remove the oil pressure relief valve, be careful when removing it though and don't lose the ball bearing and spring.

IppyEP82

Member +
Many thanks mate, you have been a massive help.
I will go about checking those things before i look at replacing the pump.

Thanks

sx_turbo

Lifer
i have just had this happen to my little daihatsu sportrak, when off roading a couple weeks ago :(

done the same as you and its looking more likely to be the clearance of the bearings have just gone out of tolerence, it might be sticky oil pressure relief valve, also might be worn rotors on the oil pump, but whatever it is, it sounds like it needs to come out for a rebuild, so thats this weekends task :(

IppyEP82

Member +
Ok cheers guys. Definitely something to think about there.
Engine has only done about 15k since it was forged aswell!

JayJ

Fresh Recruit
I have been wondering why my oil pressure light won't come on when ignition is turned "on" position(it should?) and today I though to check the pressure switch and noticed that the wiring is completely missing. With a quick look I didn't see any free wire hanging on near the switch. Could someone help and tell that from where the wire should come? Is there some other wires in the same loom? Glanza/EP91

Sorry Ippy for using your thread! :)

Ok cheers guys. Definitely something to think about there.
Engine has only done about 15k since it was forged aswell!

Iv seen worn shells give low oil pressure
I also had an engine slacken the oil relief valve on the bottom of the engine due to vibration witch cause'd low oil pressure I gave it a nip and it was fine

IppyEP82

Member +
Im hoping it could be the oil relief valve as i do get alot of vibrations with my poly engine mounts and fairly aggressive clutch.
thanks for the help.

IppyEP82

Member +
Well ive finally managed to spend a bit of time of the car over the last couple of days and got the sump off last night to discover what i presume is the pressure relief valve sitting in the bottom of my sump!!
It looked as if it had simply just un-screwed over time from vibrations. and possibly hadn't been done up properly when the engine was built.

Is there a specific torque rating i need to do this back up to please?

Many thanks

AdamB

Member +
Good to see it wasn't anything too serious!
From what I can see there isn't a torque setting, but someone with a more complete manual could tell you. Just nip it up fairly tight :)