For sale section .. discussion

Topher-EP82

Member +
Hi Guys,

I fully agree with all the rules in the for sale section, in fact i would not object to it being a higher post count to sell :O

However...

one thing i have been noticing recently is the titles of peoples for sale ad's.

Obviously everyone has to follow the rules of how to list your item but its the titles that get me.

say for instance you have a CUSCO front strut brace, HKS dump valve, Toyo sports rad and ARC winglets for sale... WHY OH WHY do people title their advert.

"parts for sale" or "few parts for sale" or "few spare bits"

the worst is " parts for sale " as it is clearly in the " parts for sale section " so thats pretty dam evident from the start lol.

URGH just list it.. EG of the above.

"Cusco brace, Hks DV, Toyo rad and more" i'm not saying list each exact item but at least give an idea what it is.

sometimes i don't even click on the "few parts" threads, then when i do i find amazing rare gems for sale..

i just don't understand it.. BTW this isn't a rant i just often write in a way that could be seen as a rant lol...

Share your thoughts.. as i believe it should be a rule that there is some sort of description in the title at least..

DISCUSS ?!?! lol

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
The title of the thread is really up to the person selling rather than part of the sales rules. I agree 100% with what you are saying, it grabs more attention briefly listing whats for sale, but moderating these posts has shown that some people have difficulty following the rules as they are never mind adding more to them lol.

Think of it like Xmas, on the vaguely worded titles, you dont know whats in there until you open it up.

Topher-EP82

Member +
i'd never thought about it from an admin point of view.. good point tbh.

I like the Xmas idea.. haha i'll go with that from now on :cool:

triple j

Member +
u cant be that lazy man, its titles like that that make us spend more time on the site going in to have a look, so its a good thing in that way u no.

Topher-EP82

Member +
personally i think its lazy on the sellers behalf... if you want to sell something you have to "SELL" it.

quite a large percentage of buying something, from my point of view, is how well the seller sells the item. it shows care and attention and, for me, can often show how well the part has been looking after.
for example i never bother to look at a car when it is a paragraph advert.. again my typing can be read as a rant lol its really not at all. :D

however i do agree with you more traffic is GOOOOOOOOOOD for the site. i do think it explains why some things stay for sale for months and have 1000's of views though.

Last edited:

Topher-EP82

Member +
lol, guys the idea of this thread was simply to hear your opinions on what you think to the titles of the for sale section thread..
and NOT to pull apart my opinion :p . i just put it out there for discussion.. :rockon:

yaristurbo

Member +
I can see where your coming from, but suppose it up to people how they arrange their post within forum rules obv.
I honestly can say I read most "stuff for sale" type threads and are much more interested in products listed in titles

AdamB

Member +
I agree, sometimes having brand names in the title captures me in as i'm always hunting for a bargain on some good branded stuff :D

weeJohn

Lifer
If you use the search forum option, select advanced search and type in what you are looking for, select search entire threads, you will get a list of threads containing those words.

rosso321

Member +
I saw 96v had near the "what's new" section blocked up with stuff selling at least 7 threads , I know what is been mentioned above very annoying.

Texx

Super Moderator
Personally I'd prefer to see only one item for sale per thread, clears up the thread title issue and also makes for sale threads easier to moderate.

Topher-EP82

Member +
i think thats a good idea texx. could then even have say 5 threads per person at one time..

i do like it when i see a proper title.. recently the best one was

" Jam Racing ECU EP91 "

its perfect !! you know what it is and what its for. Oooooosch

its good to see peoples opinions on this topic

AdamB

Member +
Having one sale item per thread would deffo have to be limited to a small number otherwise we'll have hundreds of sales ads a day, I can't keep up with that much lol.
Problem comes though when people are breaking cars.

Texx

Super Moderator
Having one sale item per thread would deffo have to be limited to a small number otherwise we'll have hundreds of sales ads a day, I can't keep up with that much lol.

As long as the thread title was accurate, I don't see any reason to limit the number of threads per member.

I can't see much difference between viewing several threads with one item per thread or one thread with several items, the benefit of having only one item per thread is that it's easy to identify exactly what is in the thread before viewing it, so if the item was of no interest to you, you wouldn't bother viewing the thread. Where there are several items for sale in a thread it's not always obvious when additional items have been added, from a moderation point of view this also has it's issues.

To sum it up, personally I'd like to see only one item for sale per thread and post editing turned off for the classifieds section.

Texx

Super Moderator
ads to come up on forum as you submit them .

This will never happen unless we see a vBulletin update in the future that provides a greater level of configuration to the forum access masks.

For the foreseeable future newly submitted for sale threads will be moderated, this is mainly due to the fact that many members find it difficult to follow the rules and use the sales template.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
It's a sales thread - so a person trying to sell something, if they don't make the effort to put a decent title which limits the views it gets then it's there own fault.

Similarly if a buyer is really needing something they will look through any sales thread no matter how random the title is or use the search function just to make sure.

It's common sense to make the title of a sales thread as clear possible but it's really not a big deal if it's as vague as "for sale" - it's the seller that suffers the most.

When people are breaking cars they obviously have lots of parts for sale - I wouldn't want to see the forum cluttered with umpteen sales thread from one person for every nut and bolt they're trying to sell.